Optical Engineer Sr.
This job is no longer active.
View similar jobs.
POST DATE 9/1/2016
END DATE 1/27/2017
JOB DESCRIPTIONJob Description and Responsibilities
Coherent Laser Systems and Measurement (LSM) designs and manufactures precision solid state lasers for scientific, medical, instrumentation and vision markets, as well as calibrated laser measurement systems for a wide variety of laser type and power applications. The business provides critical technology to thousands of global customers with a wide range of products specifically tailored to satisfy demanding customer requirements. LSM is located just minutes South of Portland, Oregon and enjoys spectacular North West weather and activity opportunities.
1) As a key individual contributor, provide technical leadership within the Laser Systems & Measurement (LSM) Engineering group in the optical design and validation of laser diode modules, laser systems, and photonics test and measurement equipment.
2) Produce detailed designs of laser optics, optical fibers, optical fiber couplings, optical sensors, laser diode modules, and multi-laser systems.
3) Develop and conduct laboratory testing of laser diodes, laser modules, and photonic measurement equipment and present data to design teams.
4) Design beam shaping and line generation optics with Zemax.
5) Develop assembly and test procedures for new products.
6) Support the transfer of new products to manufacturing.
7) Other photonics design, test, and troubleshooting responsibilities may be added in the future as business conditions evolve.
Excellent written and verbal communication skills
Excellent team and interpersonal skills
Strong leadership ability or potential
Strong attention to detail combined with system-level thinking
Education and Work Experience
A minimum of an M.S. in Optical Engineering, Physics or a related discipline.
A minimum of 5 years work experience in several of the following areas:
Optical design of commercial lasers products, specifically: Diode laser modules and/or Beam shaping optics
Design of optical fiber or air launched laser beam delivery systems
Qualification testing of photonic components (laser diodes, laser optics, optical sensors).
Optics design with Zemax or similar optics design software.
Extensive laboratory experience with photonics test and measurement (measurement of M2, beam profile, spectral, optical noise, optical power, pulse energy, etc.). A working knowledge of Labview is a plus.
Opto-mechanical design. A working knowledge of SolidWorks is a plus
Other experience to include;
A working knowledge of laser safety
Candidates with lower education and/or experience levels may be considered for the lower level Optical Engineer role.
We are an Equal Opportunity Employer and do not discriminate against any employee or applicant for employment because of race, color, sex, age, national origin, religion, sexual orientation, gender identity, status as a veteran, and basis of disability or any other federal, state or local protected class.