PATIENT CARE ASSISTANT / 40 HOURS / NIGHTS - BWH ORTHOPEDIC SURGERY - CONNORS 7
This job is no longer active.
View similar jobs.
POST DATE 9/17/2016
END DATE 10/8/2016
Brigham & Women's Hospital(BWH)
JOB DESCRIPTIONGENERAL OVERVIEW:
Functioning under the direction of the Registered Nurse (RN) and as a member of the unit-based patient care team, the Patient Care Assistant (PCA) performs duties of direct and indirect patient care. The PCA is responsible for supporting the RN with clinical tasks, including, but not limited to glucometry, EKGs, and vital signs. In addition, the PCA is responsible for responding to the needs of patients and family members and takes a proactive role in the efficient operation of the unit.
PRINCIPAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
1. As a member of the Patient Care Team, the PCA ensures that the patient and family members are attended to in a caring and attentive manner, responding to the needs of patients/family members in a timely manner and maintaining a patient and family focus at all times.
2. Works cohesively as a member of the patient care team, anticipating the needs of team members, as well as the patient.
3. Establishes and maintains a positive relationship with each patient, family and team member.
4. Answers call lights and responds to patient requests promptly.
5. Consistently maintains confidentiality/privacy of all patients.
6. Maintains hospital service standards, with particular attention to personal/behavioral, staff teamwork, and patient-staff interaction guidelines.
1. Assists patients with activities of daily living (ADLs), including but not limited to: bathing, feeding, toileting, dressing, and grooming. Will prepare/set-up patients for meals and snacks and will assist patient during meals, when necessary.
2. Anticipates the individual needs of patients regarding ADLs, within the plan of care established by the registered nurse.
3. Adapts standard ADL care to the unique needs of each patient, within the plan of care established by the nurse.
4. Maintains familiarity with expected patient outcomes of all tasks performed, recognizes situations requiring RN notification.
5. Maintains thorough understanding of activity and equipment within working environment, including the application of precautions.
6. Measures and records non-invasive vital signs and patient weights.
7. Performs EKGs in accordance with Hospital/Departmental standards.
8. Collects and records patient data, including intake/output, glucometry, and guaic check.
9. Assists patients with physical therapy (range of motion and exercises ordered by Physical Therapy), deep breathing, coughing, and ambulation.
10. Completes procedure setup and clean up, and assists during procedures.
11. Performs simple dressing changes on patients.
12. Functions as a patient observer under the direction of the registered nurse.
13. Performs unit-specific clinical duties, including, but not limited to, chest physical therapy, placing patients on telemetry.
1. Responsible for escorting patients/families upon being discharged from unit. Ensures that patient has full instructions of home care or needs post-discharge.
2. Transports patients and/or equipment to other areas of the hospital, when needed.
3. Maintains patient rooms, including changing bed linens, etc., when needed.
4. Orders and maintains non-perishable supplies in unit nourishment station and food cabinets.
5. All other duties, as assigned.
1. High School Diploma or equivalent required.
2. Certification as a nursing assistant required upon hire, unless incumbent is a nursing student who
has completed her/his fundamentals of nursing with a clinical component (clinical rotation or simulation lab). For nursing students hired as PCAs, strongly prefer nursing students enrolled in BSN programs or direct-entry Masters programs.
3. Demonstrated proficiency in English verbal and written communication skills.
4. Ability to read, write, perform simple arithmetic calculations in English required.
5. Ability to communicate effectively using voice mail, e-mail, fax machine, telephone, etc.
6. Bi-lingual skills preferred.
7. Prior experience in a clinical setting preferred.
8. Demonstrated customer service skills.
9. Knowledge of medical terminology.
10. May not currently hold a valid nursing license.
SKILLS AND ABILITIES:
1. Competency in technical and non-technical skills required, as demonstrated through orientation and skills validation process.
2. The ability to assess patient data relative to age-specific needs and provide care as described in the departments policies and procedures.
3. Excellent interpersonal skills to interact effectively with patients, visitors, and hospital personnel.
4. The ability to work as a team member, promoting a caring and collegial attitude toward fellow employees.
5. The ability to work under stressful conditions, adapting to the changing pace on the unit, frequent interruptions, emergencies and critically ill patients.
6. The ability to organize and prioritize work.
7. Demonstration of independent judgment within the scope of this position.
8. Well-developed organizational skills in order to determine the needs of patients.
9. The ability to stand, walk, and bend for an extended period of time.
10. The ability to lift linens and supplies with a maximum weight of 20 pounds.
11. The ability to lift patients and assist with ambulation.
12. Demonstration of flexibility and willingness to adapt to diverse role as member of the patient care team.
13. The staff member must be able to demonstrate the knowledge and skills necessary to provide care appropriate to the age of the patients served on his/her assigned unit. The age of the patients served on this unit range from Adolescence to Geriatric.
Works in a patient care environment where there is some exposure to communicable disease, and in some areas sealed sources of radiation and radioisotopes.
EVERY OTHER WEEKEND COVERAGE REQUIRED.
Brigham and Womens Hospital is an Equal Opportunity Employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, sex, color, religion, national origin, sexual orientation, protected veteran status, or on the basis of disability.