PATIENT FINANCIAL ADVISOR SR
This job is no longer active.
View similar jobs.
POST DATE 9/17/2016
END DATE 10/26/2016
University of Kansas Hospital
JOB DESCRIPTIONAPPLY Job Details
I am at least 18 years of age
I am authorized to work in the United States
I meet the job requirements as described
Work among the best. We are a top 25 employer in the metro area offering a wide array of career opportunities within our organization. We have a leading reputation for patient care, medical education, research, and community service. We value and respect the talented, committed, and diverse people who make up our hospital; they are our most important strength. The hospital offers very competitive wages and an outstanding benefit package.
We currently have an opening for Patient Financial Advisor Senior
* Complies with Medicare/Medicaid rules and regulations.
* Screens patients with financial needs and assists them in finding payment resolution for their accounts. Includes negotiating settlements, insurance, public assistance, payment arrangements, charity or bad debt.
* Contacts the patient or family by phone or in person to ask them questions about sponsorship linkage. Includes health insurance, homeowners insurance, workman's compensation insurance, pre-paid packages, grants, studies, COBRA, VA benefits, Crime Victim, auto insurance, Medicaid or Medicare. This also includes following Medicare Days. If a patient is out of Medicare days and does not wish to use their Life Time Reserve days we must secure sponsorship for the remaining stay. Gathers proof of sponsorship from the patient, which includes contacting the patient's employer, insurance agent, auto insurance, police department, government case workers, internal departments, attorney or other agencies. Monitors accounts until they are secured.
* Updates patient account information and patient demographic information appropriately. Reviews the account within 1 business day to assure verification and pre-certification are complete and accurate.
* As needed, the patient is screened to determine possible Medicaid or Disability linkage; this includes the ability to interpret the patients H&P to determine disability. Begins the Medicaid/Disability application process if the patient links to any public assistance program. If potential disability, an interview must be set up with the local Social Security Office. Must follow through to make sure patient keeps appointment. Obtain all documents required by SRS such as, medical statement completed by doctor, landlord letter, income verifications, citizenship verification, birth verification, medical records if requested, and any other forms SRS requires. This includes extensive follow up with patients, SRS, Social Security and doctors. The goal is to complete applications prior to the patient's discharge. Refers the account to the external vendor if appropriate, and if the account meets Manager approval. Continually monitors the progress of the application process until the account is converted or denied public assistance.
* Negotiate settlements or makes payment arrangements. If unable to make payments, then screen for partial or full charity, this includes completing the financial assessment application and obtaining all necessary documents. In the event that the patient is uncooperative at any part of the screening process, their account(s) will be recommended for collections and ultimately bad debt.
* Works daily work lists consisting of all unsecured accounts. This requires taking appropriate actions necessary such as phone calls and written communication. Requires using appropriate codes and timeframes. Goal is to complete work list daily.
* Assists "walk-in" customers requesting assistance. In addition, they will also take phone calls from customers who call with questions.
* Processes Care Management Team referrals for Sponsorship.
* Assists in both initial orientation and ongoing training of employees. Provides training to other department staff as needed.
* Leads the team in the absence of the supervisor/manager or upon assignment.
* Is a resource to all Patient Advisors for questions and answers, directing them to proper policy and procedure or resources to accomplish the goals of the Patient Advisor Team.
* Will be required to fill in for any departmental needs as assigned.
* Will serve as the lead and provide orientation / training for any new Patient Financial Advisor.
* Responsible for Point of Service collections and EPIC documentation when applicable.
* Responsible for other duties or projects which are assigned by management. These may include special projects, telephone coverage, filing, copying and other duties as instructed.
* High School Diploma or equivalent required
* Bachelor's Degree in Business, Accounting or Business Administration
* Three to five years' experience in customer service and accounting functions, nursing, transplant coordination, utilization review, financial counseling, or insurance reimbursement in a Health Care setting.
* Basic computer skills required. Previous supervisory/lead experience preferred.
* Demonstrated knowledge of insurance regulations and medical terminology.
* Ability to maintain harmonious relationships within the work team, in the department, and outside the department.
* Ability to communicate clearly, use good judgment and be sympathetic toward patients.
* Ability to work under stress with frequent interruptions.
* Ability to maintain confidentiality with patient information.
*** If selected to move forward in the hiring process, you will receive an email invitation to schedule your interview for this position. Please continue to check your email after you have submitted your complete application online.
To check the status of your application, please login to the Careers page and select the Application History tab ***
The University of Kansas Medical Center is committed to providing an equal opportunity for all qualified individuals to be considered for employment, benefits and conditions of employment, and to participate in or benefit from education programs and activities, regardless of race, religion, color, ethnicity, sex, disability, national origin, ancestry, age, status as a veteran, sexual orientation, marital status, parental status, gender identity, gender expression, or genetic information. A university community that provides equal opportunity for all will make significant strides towards the elimination of discrimination.
It is the mission of the Equal Opportunity Office to create a community of equality and inclusiveness that provides full and fair opportunities for all persons and to foster an intellectually and culturally diverse environment of learning and leadership where all individuals are valued, respected, and unhindered in their pursuit of excellence in their work and education.