PATIENT SERV. COORD. III
The Patient Services Coordinator (PSC): Access Coordinator, under general supervision, provides administrative support to healthcare providers in a high-volume ambulatory practice setting. The PSC: Access Coordinator works to ensure quality-based, customer-oriented workflows and aims to provide positive experiences to those attempting to gain access to the department. The PSC: Access Coordinator is the first point of contact for individuals contacting MGH Urology. PSC: Access Coordinators are responsible for all aspects of scheduling patients and routing calls to different Care Team Physician Assistants & Physicians as necessary. PSC: Access Coordinators will forward all calls requiring clinical inputs to the appropriate nurse or PA.
* Acts as a first point of contact for individuals who contact Urology
* Schedules patient office appointments
* Coordinates appointments with the MGH Interpreters Office as necessary
* Coordinates appointments with other consulting physicians, primary care physicians or their office staff as appropriate
* Works with the Admitting Department and International Office to coordinate appointments of self-pay and international patients
* Requests financial quotes for pending inpatient or outpatient services and relates (relays?) information to patients when necessary, Refers patients to Patient Financial Services as appropriate.
* Completes the necessary booking sheets and corresponding paperwork
* Balances procedure scheduling with time allotted
* Respond to any outstanding insurance coverage questions
* Manages high volumes of calls in a professional and courteous manor
* Refers patients to appropriate physician specialists based on reported clinical conditions
* Answers patient/family questions regarding appointments, surgical procedures, and pre-operative instructions, as appropriate. Ensures individuals understand the information provided.
* Review patient instructions for procedures as necessary and answer questions.
* Coordinates care of patients in a courteous and professional manner. Works with physicians, nursing staff, administrative personnel and all members of the health care team both within the institution and with outside facilities.
* Takes phone messages for MDs/PAs and ensure they are received in a timely manner
* Triages all clinical calls to RN or if necessary the PA or MD managing the patient
* Actively attends and participates in all regular meetings
* Assists patients with medication prior-approvals and post-approvals
* Troubleshoots approval problems and assists physician in completing necessary request and appeal documentation
* Follows all MGH Urology and Hospital based procedures and polices
* Follows all scheduling guidelines as defined by MGH Urology management
* Maintains a high level of customer service over the phone with patients at all times
* Maintains patient confidentiality:
* Requests patients to sign the HIPAA release to enable contact by the Development Department. Professionally answers questions and refers issues to either Administrative Director or Development staff. Utilizes tact and diplomacy.
* Active participant in the development and sharing of best practices
* Active participant in continuous improvement
* Active participant in all projects/tasks administered by the Site Coordinator
* Helps to orient new staff as needed
* Complete all required annual training
* Other duties as assigned
* High School Diploma, GED or Equivalent required
* 1-2 years of of secretarial, customer service, or equivalent required
* Knowledge of computer skills necessary to use programs required for day to day clinic operations (Word, Excel, Outlook, internet, MGH electronic health systems, etc)
* Good verbal and written communication, including the use of medical terminology
* Exceptional organizational skills, flexibility to manage multiple tasks and the accurate attentive to details
* Ability to work independently or within a team environment
* Excellent and effective interpersonal and communication skills
* Excellent customer service skills
* Demonstrated ability to work effectively and courteously with various groups of patients, staff and providers.
* Demonstrated ability to problem solve and function as a resource to other members of the team, and resolve complex issues on behalf of the providers and the patients.
* Demonstrated in-depth understanding of managed care and all other pertinent insurance/medical coverage
* Demonstrated knowledge of HIPAA Confidentiality and Privacy Policies
* Demonstrated understanding of Disaster protocols to include: fire, safety and code calls, per the mandatory training, as outlined by MGH and JCAHO guidelines