PATIENT SERVICES COORD. II - Vascular Surgery
This job is no longer active.
View similar jobs.
POST DATE 8/11/2016
END DATE 10/27/2016
Massachusetts General Hospital(MGH)
JOB DESCRIPTIONGENERAL SUMMARY/ OVERVIEW STATEMENT:
Under general supervision, provides administrative support to a physician, medical practice or clinic for patient care and administrative activities. Works with the physician, staff members and management to ensure a quality-based, customer-oriented flow of work. Utilizes discretion and judgment to organize priorities, complete tasks and handle confidential patient information. Performs a wide range of administrative tasks to support a medical office, including schedules patient appointments and diagnostic testing, obtaining referrals and pre-certifications as needed, provides patient reception, prepares consultation letters, notes, correspondence and manuscripts, performs photocopying, faxing, filing and answering telephones.
PRINCIPAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
I. PATIENT CARE RESPONSIBILITIES
* Schedules patient office appointments using IDX, may include scheduling for more than one facility, coordinates appointments with those of other consulting physicians or primary care physician as appropriate.
* Prints or types day sheet for patient office hours and surgeries according to needs of physician, contacts outside institutions for physician office appointment schedule as appropriate.
* Transfers patients to Registration and Referral, may register new patients if needed, obtaining all necessary information in a courteous manner, creates office medical records for new patients, follows-up prior to patient appointment to ensure that patient is registered.
* Refers patients to Patient Financial Services for financial counseling as appropriate.
* Retrieves medical records prior to patient office hours, ensures that all necessary laboratory and radiological test results and medical records are obtained, from within and outside of MGH, and properly filed prior to patients office visit. Ensures records are available for physician needs e.g. signature, billing, etc.
* Maintains knowledge and skill in the use of appropriate electronic systems to obtain and provide information (e.g. CAS/LMR). Monitors and uses systems to execute tasks, such as Front Desk Worklist in ICM-MD, CRMS for incoming and outgoing referrals and Patient Gateway for patient messages.
* Distributes patient information, maps, etc. prior to patient appointments.
* Answers patient/family questions regarding appointments, surgical procedures, and pre-operative instructions as appropriate.
* Arranges for interpreter services as needed prior to patient appointment.
* Places reminder telephone calls to patients 1-2 days before scheduled office visits as required.
* Prints, prepares and processes encounter forms for patient office hours and surgeries.
* Checks-in patients as they arrive in a courteous manner.
* Ensures that all demographic data in patient medical record is current and complete, referring patients to Registration and Referral as needed, uses LMR/IDX as necessary.
* Consistently photocopies patient insurance card when required, ensures copies are filed with billing data as necessary.
* Consistently collects and records patient co-payments or self-payments as required and according to MGPO guidelines. Consistently obtains patient/family signature for billing when needed.
* Consistently ensures referral forms are obtained from patients or primary care physicians office prior to patients office visit, when needed obtains additional forms such as missed referral and missed appointment fee. Coordinates, tracks and decrements referrals as needed. Creates and sends no show letters.
* Performs electronic insurance verification using NEHEN Express.
* Coordinates with clinical staff to ensure smooth patient flow.
* Checks-out patients as they exit exam rooms.
* Accurately records information on day sheet according to needs of physician.
* Schedules follow-up appointments and laboratory or radiology testing in a timely and courteous manner, prepares appropriate requisition/paperwork and arranges for specimen retrieval as necessary, ensures that any necessary follow-up is scheduled at the appropriate time in the future.
* Prepares physician operating room schedules and prepares medical records for transport to MGH and outside operating rooms according to needs of physician.
* Transcribes, proofreads, and edits physicians dictation of office notes/consultation letters as needed using LMR or word processing software or coordinates with transcription service to ensure transcription is performed in a timely and accurate. Ensures that letters are sent to referring physician for each patient encounter and within 1-2 days of patient visit. May print and send visit summary reports.
* Photocopies and files patient-related paperwork (office/operative notes, consultation/medical necessity letters, etc.) in an accurate and timely manner.
* Re-schedules any cancelled appointments in a timely manner and mails cancelled appointment letters to patient.
* Prepares and sends follow-up visit reminder letters to patients in a timely manner.
* Responds to requests from physicians offices, family, or government agencies for letters of medical necessity, letters to schools, copies of medical records, etc. as necessary.
* Interacts in a courteous manner with physicians, nurses, and administrative staff within and outside of MGH to coordinate care of patients, obtain referrals, provide feedback, answer questions, etc.
* ADMINISTRATIVE RESPONSIBILITIES
* Maintains physicians calendar and coordinates schedule on multiple systems as needed. Schedules appointments and meetings and makes travel arrangements.
* Answers telephones and triages complex calls, arranges for forwarding and removal of telephones to answering service, places/returns telephone calls for physician as requested.
* Retrieves, screens and triages physicians mail.
* Prepares correspondence, applications, forms, and reports. Prepares or updates physicians Curriculum Vitae as needed. As needed, transcribes, edits, proofreads, and prepares recommendations, reports, abstracts, manuscripts, correspondence, etc. and maintains appropriate file copies.
* Arranges for payments, e.g. invoices and reimbursement, as needed.
* Prepares and distributes physician on-call schedule on a monthly basis as requested.
* Ensures timely renewal and maintains files of physicians medical license(s), DEA certificate, professional liability insurance, etc.
* Prepares and maintains files of hospital and managed care plan credentialling documents.
* Performs photocopying, faxing, filing as requested.
* May order office and clinical supplies and forms, stamps, etc. as needed.
* Retrieves articles from libraries when requested by physician.
* Organize materials for presentations at national meetings.
* Establishes and maintains databases for storage of records, patient lists, mailing lists, etc. according to physicians needs.
* Arranges for outside visitors, medical students, etc. as requested by physician.
* Cross covers other staff members, e.g. breaks, lunches, vacations, during variations in work flow as needed.
* Participates in periodic staff meetings or other departmental meetings.
* Perform/participate in special projects as may arise from time-to-time.
* Secretarial Certificate or Associates Degree. Equivalent and additional secretarial/administrative experience may be considered in place of education.
* Minimum of 2 to 4 years of secretarial experience. Experience in a healthcare setting helpful.
SKILLS/ ABILITIES/ COMPETENCIES REQUIRED:
* Typing 55 to 65 WPM required, including use of dictaphone.
* Exceptional computer skills (including word processing, database, electronic mail, internet, and spreadsheets) required. Knowledge of IDX and other systems at a level sufficient to perform