PATIENT SERVICES COORDINTOR II
This job is no longer active.
View similar jobs.
POST DATE 9/3/2016
END DATE 11/22/2016
Massachusetts General Hospital(MGH)
JOB DESCRIPTIONAPPLY GENERAL SUMMARY/ OVERVIEW STATEMENT:
Under general supervision, provides administrative support to the ambulatory surgery center in the Operating Room and also provides administrative support activities. Works with the nurse manager, charge nurse, resource nurse and clinical staff members to ensure a quality-based, customer-oriented flow of work. Responsibilities include working with the surgical schedule, answering telephones, patient reception, performing photocopying, faxing and some file management. Requires discretion and judgment to organize priorities, complete tasks and handle confidential patient information in a busy environment.
PRINCIPAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
Operating Room Desk,
* Works collaboratively with the charge nurse and resource nurses to provide administrative support to the Operating Room for daily operations and the surgical schedule.
* Troubleshoots daily schedule to ensure patient schedule is operational. Collaborates with charge nurse or others to resolve complex issues. Contacts surgeons offices and Op Time team/RSVP for information and assistance when trouble-shooting scheduled procedures
* Schedules/re-schedules surgeries in collaboration with physician schedulers and charge nurse
* Assists surgical schedulers and surgeons with questions regarding the surgical schedule.
* Adds notations to the daily schedule for closed rooms as directed by the resource nurse, nurse manager and medical director.
* Appropriately answers patient/family questions regarding appointments and surgical procedure dates and times.
* Prints and maintains OR schedules for staff.
* Interacts in a courteous manner with physicians, nurses and administrative staff within and outside of MGH and MG/NS to coordinate care of patients, obtain referrals, provide feedback, answer questions, etc.
* Assists unit leadership with vendors and visitors to the unit by providing locker information, process for scrubs and badges and maintaining vendor log.
* May prepares correspondence, forms and reports for the resource RN, nurse manager, and medical director.
* Under direction, coordinates outside vendors and services in support of patient care needs and equipment services, this includes placing telephones calls and rescheduling patient appointments.
* Maintains databases for storage of operational records, including staff assignment sheets, daily schedules, staff schedules, etc. according to department needs.
General Clerical/Patient Support:
* Checks in patients at the reception desk as they arrive in a courteous manner using Always Behaviors. Completes patient processing that includes: obtains patient signatures for required documents per protocol, correctly identifies patient per policy and confirms patient ride contact information.
* Compiles patient records for day of surgery with appropriate information, consent forms, etc.
* Prepares medical records for transport to MGH according to MGH standards for secure transport.
* Performs photocopying, faxing, scanning, filing as requested.
* Submits office supply requests to patient services coordinator III to maintain OR clerical inventory.
* Performs confirmation of billing activity to trigger charges of post-case charges for day surgeries and GI procedures. Ensures all data is complete and works to resolve discrepancies.
* Serves as point of communication for the OR desk to ensure surgeons and others have up-to-date information and to share necessary details regarding cases and schedules.
* Cross-covers for other PSC staff members for breaks, lunches, vacations, and during variations in work flow as needed.
* Performs other duties as assigned.
CUSTOMER SERVICE RESPONSIBILITIES:
Conveys Compassion: Demonstrates awareness and shows sensitivity to others needs.
Respectful of Others: Considers others viewpoints and treats others with honesty, fairness and integrity. Speaks highly of the capabilities of the hospital and its staff.
Attentive to Others: Actively looks for ways to help customers by identifying and proposing appropriate solutions and/or services.
Collaborates with Others: Maintains cooperative working relationships and builds team identity. Promotes a friendly, cooperative climate within the department and hospital setting.
Accountable for Actions establishes a high degree of trust and credibility with others. Evokes confidence in character, abilities and truthfulness. Demonstrates efforts to succeed and excel. Guards patient privacy.
Informative: Proactively shares information with others.
Adaptable to Others: Managers multiple demands, shifting priorities and rapid change. Adapts plans, behavior or approaches to fit major change situations.
Acts Professionally: Builds trust through reliability and authenticity. Demonstrates results oriented behavior. Develops constructive, cooperative relationships with others.
Emotionally Self Aware: Understands the implications of own emotions and managers appropriately.
Safety: Is aware of and adheres to safety measures for both patient and staff.
* Advanced level of skill from experience with surgical schedules, operations and patient tracking systems.
* Strong understanding of medical office practices, knowledge of CPT codes.
* Able to properly and accurately perform office and clerical tasks, able to use standard office equipment.
* Demonstrates strong customer service skills to effectively work with patients, family members, medical practice staff and others, engages in cooperative working relationships.
* Exceptional organizational skills and the flexibility to handle multiple tasks and deadline pressures.
* Excellent interpersonal skills, including the ability to present a calm demeanor during busy days and in fast paced settings
* Good command of English language, including medical terminology.
* Have basic math skills to complete billing responsibilities.
* Ability to work independently and in a team environment.
* Exceptional computer skills (including EPIC, Microsoft Word, Outlook, Internet communications) required.
* Able to solve administrative and scheduling problems in a timely and effective manner.
* Effectively handles, stores and communicates confidential information.
* Is knowlegable and compliant in all hospital, State and Federal regulatory requirements, including hospital policy and procedures (where applicable to the performance of the job), the Joint Commission on Accreditation of Healthcare Organizations (JCAHO) and Health Insurance Portability and Accountability Act of 1996 (HIPAA).
FISCAL RESPONSIBILITY (if applicable):
No direct fiscal responsibility, however is responsible for prudent fiscal management of program resources (e.g. employee overtime, supplies, etc.)
Normal office conditions with long periods of sitting and computer use. Ambulatory surgical center may include exposure to patients pre- and post-surgery, noise and cleaning chemicals. May enter operating room if necessary to deliver paperwork and may have exposure airborne matter, bodily fluids and sharp instruments.
High school diploma or equivalent required. Associates degree or equivalent secretarial certificate preferred.
Minimum of 2-4 years of medical secretarial experience required. Work experience must include surgical scheduling.Experience using EPIC systems preferred.
Massachusetts General Hospital is an Equal Opportunity Employer. By embracing diverse skills, perspectives and ideas, we choose to lead. Applications from protected veterans