This job is no longer active.
View similar jobs.
POST DATE 8/18/2016
END DATE 12/4/2016
In this role as a Principal Engineer in the Wire and Cable Division at UL, you will be responsible for:
* Developing, establishing and maintaining ULs certification and evaluation programs
* Driving consistency, integrity and engineering quality in the development of testing services
* Application of product safety and performance criteria for cable products
This position can be filled remotely; East Coast preferred.
1. Develop and maintain consistent and technically appropriate certification and surveillance requirements in UL Standards and Outlines of Investigation as well as Certification Requirement Decisions, along with the associated ancillary documents such as form reports, data sheets, Standardized Appendix Pages, and Follow-up Inspection Instructions.
2. Participate in UL/Industry technical Meetings and UL Council Meetings in the area of expertise as agreed to by management. Maintain visibility within the industry as a thought leader through presentations at industry forums and publication of technical papers in industry publications.
3. Work closely with the Business Development Department in the conceptualization and evaluation of new business opportunities. Advise the leadership team of the technical resources and capital expenditures needed to actively participate in the new business.
4. Provide technical guidance to both team and customers in complex engineering issues. Ensure quality and adherence to policies and standard requirements.
5. Promote a Lean learning environment. Identify, support and integrate Lean Sigma continuous improvement opportunities into all aspects of the job and throughout the organization. Lead employees to openly suggest, promote and embrace change.
6. Increase customer loyalty, anticipate customer needs and provide proactive solutions. Gather, share and respond to customer feedback.
7. Communicate and exemplify UL's Vision and Mission. Collaborate and build trust within the organization and with customers to meet or exceed their expectations. Develop strong, flexible cross-functional networks and global relationships to promote becoming the fastest, highest quality and most customer-friendly organization.
8. E stablish and support the grow th of the Utility Cable Business , focusing on Wind Farm and Submersible Cable Markets as well as the traditional distribution systems .
9. Be actively involved in the applicable ICEA and IEC standards development related to the testing of the cable used in utilities with a focus on ' green ' energy such as sol ar and wind . Be familiar with the applicable installation and environmental standards associated with these industries.
10. Work with Utility companies around the globe to develop Product Qualification Documents, establish core and pre-shipment testing plans, and ongoing surveillance programs.
11. Be an instrumental part in helping Change the perception of UL in the utility industry to increase UL's market share of testing and certification of utility cables .
* Bachelor degree in Electrical or Mechanical Engineering from an ABET accredited program
* 10 years or more directly related experience in the medium and high voltage (over 35kV) cable industry (standards development, installation practices, qualification processes)
* A thorough technical knowledge of ICEA and IEC standards related to the Utilities, Windfarms and Submarine cable Industries
* Strong problem solving and Project Management skills
* Ability to initiate preventive, rather than corrective Engineering actions
* Effective communication skills at all levels of the organization
* A strong network of contacts within the utility industry
We accept the uniqueness in individuals and see it as a powerful asset to our employees, services and community.
Equal Opportunity Employer: Minority/Female/Disability/Veteran