PECO - Post Emergency Canvassing Operation Technology Specialist
This job is no longer active.
View similar jobs.
POST DATE 8/25/2016
END DATE 12/19/2016
The New York City Department of Health and Mental Hygiene
Long Island City, NY
JOB DESCRIPTIONThe New York City Department of Health and Mental Hygiene (DOHMH), an agency recognized worldwide for being a leader in public health and at the forefront of cutting-edge public health emergency planning initiatives, seeks a dynamic professional with excellent communication, project management, and analytic skills to serve as a Post Emergency Canvassing Operation (PECO) Technology Specialist within the Agency's Office of Emergency Preparedness and Response (OEPR), Post Emergency Canvassing Operations initiative.
The Post-Emergency Canvassing Operations (PECO) is a groundbreaking initiative to reach out to and assess vulnerable populations who remain in their homes after a devastating natural disaster or man-made catastrophic event, such as a coastal storm or a major power outage. As a citywide initiative, PECO development includes discovering, developing and testing new and innovative technologies to capture, analyze and understand data after emergencies.
The PECO Technology Specialist will have the following primary duties, including but not limited to:
* Profile existing data sources available for canvassing operations and become familiar with the business information contained in each.
* Work with other technical teams across the City as well as with internal and external users in order to develop technical designs for a canvassing data warehouse.
* Coordinate with PECO stakeholders to translate requirements into efficient data models (logical and physical), and work with database leads to oversee the development of integration, extraction, and transformation processes between operational systems and the data warehouse.
* Oversee the transition of canvassing data systems from DOHMH to the NYC Department of Information Technology and Telecommunications (DoITT).
* Participate in and oversee testing of PECO systems functionality, data integrity, user competency, process completion, and other tests that support systems delivery quality.
* Work with divisional teams to define systems strategy, develop requirements, prototype and test technology solutions and support system implementation.
* Liaise with internal and external development contractors to ensure divisional technical projects and deliverables are on time and on budget.
* Engage in proactive capacity planning, including reviewing new technology solutions to ensure the business intelligence (BI) environment is scalable, extensible, and supportable for the future.
* Identify opportunities to reuse enterprise technology services.
* Ensure PECO technical inventory is ready for deployment.
* Provide 24x7 critical field support during a PECO activation.
MINIMUM QUAL REQUIREMENTS
1. A master's degree in computer science from an accredited college and three years of progressively more responsible, full-time, satisfactory experience using information technology in computer applications programming, systems programming, computer systems development, data telecommunications, database administration, planning of data/information processing, user services, or area networks at least 18 months of this experience must have been in an administrative, managerial or executive capacity in the areas of computer applications programming, systems programming, computer systems development, data telecommunications, data base administration, or planning of data processing or in the supervision of staff performing these duties; or
2. A baccalaureate degree from an accredited college and four years of experience as described in "1" above; or
3. A four-year high school diploma or its educational equivalent approved by a State's department of education or recognized accrediting organization and six years of experience as described in "1" above; or
4. A satisfactory combination of education and experience equivalent to "1", "2" or "3" above. However, all candidates must have at least a four-year high school diploma or its educational equivalent approved by a State's department of education or recognized accrediting organization and must possess at least three years of experience as described in "1" above, including the 18 months of administrative, managerial, executive or supervisory experience as described in
QUALIFICATION REQUIREMENTS (CONTINUED)
NOTE: The following types of experience are not acceptable: superficial use of preprogrammed software without complex programming, design, implementation or management of the product; use of word processing packages; use of a hand held calculator; primarily the entering or updating of data in a system; the operation of data processing hardware or consoles.
Understanding the benefits of data warehousing, data architecture fundamentals, data modeling design and implementation, ETL and reporting processes
* Experience designing database schemas, data dictionaries and process models
* High level of proficiency with SQL; knowledge and experience using relational database systems to conduct analysis
* Familiarity with Agile principles
* Experience solving data challenges associated with unstructured and structured data
* Experience mentoring team members in the use of tools, systems and best practices
* A strong interest in data analytics and working with new technology platforms
* Some experience working for or with federal, state or local government
* Demonstrated experience and ability to work in a fast-paced environment on multiple projects
* Effective communication skills both written and verbal.
We appreciate the interest and thank all applicants who apply, but only those candidates under consideration will be contacted.