PERIOP/South Pavilion OR: SURGICAL TECH TCC
This job is no longer active.
View similar jobs.
POST DATE 8/24/2016
END DATE 12/22/2016
Yale New Haven Health
New Haven, CT
To be part of our organization, every employee should understand and share in the YNHHS Vision, support our Mission, and live our Values. These values integrity, patient-centered, respect, accountability, and compassion must guide what we do, as individuals and professionals, every day.
A Surgical Technologist performs in a novice role and because of limited or lack of clinical experience, requires close supervision by a mentor or experienced personnel. Despite limited or lack of clinical experience, he/she is an integral member of the surgical team who works closely with surgeons, anesthesiologists, registered nurses, and other surgical personnel in delivering patient care and assumes supervised responsibilities before, during, and after surgery procedures. Responsibilities include but are not limited to preparing the operating room, instruments, equipment, and supplies that will be needed; positioning and preparing the patient for surgery; and passing instruments, sponges, and sutures to the surgeon. Other responsibilities include participation in and collaborating with the surgical team in decisions affecting patient care and safety., Qualifications, 1. A graduate of CAAHEP accredited surgical technology program or formal program as defined by the LCCST., 2. Demonstrates knowledge of all aspects of the Perioperative Department and works independently on minor and minimally complex cases.
Patient and family centered care (PFCC) at YNHH is demonstrated by working with patients and their families based on the 4 principles of PFCC: participation, dignity and respect, information sharing, and collaboration. This includes providing service excellence by creating a great \\"First Impression\\" by demonstrating exemplary customer service skills for all customer groups including patients, families/friends, physicians, staff and support department personnel.
Adheres to the \\"I Am YNHH\\" service excellence pledge and promotes a positive work environment.
* 1. Demonstrates Patient Care Concepts
* 1.1 Verifies patient's identity and procedure with a registered nurse using the procedure verification process
* 2. DEMONSTRATES THE APPLICATION OF THE PRINCIPLES OF ASEPSIS AND DISINFECTION IN A KNOWLEDGEABLE MANNER IN THE CARE OF SUPPLIES, INSTRUMENTS, AND THE ENVIRONMENT.
* 2.1 Identifies the principles of sterile technique and applies these techniques when assisting each operative procedure.
* 3. DEMONSTRATES SURGICAL CASE PRESENTATION SKILLS
* 3.1 Applies knowledge of normal and pathological anatomy and physiology to individualize patient care.
* 4. DEMONSTRATES THE ROLE OF THE SCRUB PERSON
* 4.1 Follows principles of correct hand scrub, gowns and gloves others, and ties and secures sterile gowns; completes scrub protocol before each case according to OR standards.
* 5. DEMONSTRATES THE ROLE OF ASSISTING THE REGISTERED NURSE CIRCULATOR
* 5.1 Prepares the operative site for surgery under the direction of a registered nurse and assists the other members of the surgical team as needed; reports status of procedure to relief team.
* 6. DEMONSTRATES THE ACCOUNTABILITY AS A HEALTH CARE PROFESSIONAL
* 6.1 Recognizes that each practitioner is individually responsible for his/her actions.
High school diploma or equivalent. Completion of CAAH EP (Commission on Programs) accredited Surgical Technologist Program. Accreditation of Allied Health Education.
Graduate of a CAAHP accredited surgical technologist program with demonstrated achievement of excellent skill developments. 1-2 years of experience and certification as a surgical technician preferred.
Demonstrated knowledge of the theory and application of sterile and aseptic technique combined with the knowledge of human anatomy and various instrumentation and procedures in all surgical areas and services.
Standing 90% of the work day. Ability to lift up to 36 pounds, handle highly-stressful physical and interpersonal situations, do repetitive work, fine hand manipulations, and work at an elevated level from floor. Able to cope with repeated skin scrubbing and withstand variation in room temperatures.