PHYSICIAN CODER I
This job is no longer active.
View similar jobs.
POST DATE 8/9/2016
END DATE 10/26/2016
University of Kansas Hospital
Kansas City, KS
JOB DESCRIPTIONAPPLY Job Details
I am at least 18 years of age
I am authorized to work in the United States
I meet the job requirements as described
Work among the best. We are a top 25 employer in the metro area offering a wide array of career opportunities within our organization. We have a leading reputation for patient care, medical education, research, and community service. We value and respect the talented, committed, and diverse people who make up our hospital; they are our most important strength. The hospital offers very competitive wages and an outstanding benefit package.
We currently have an opening for Physician Coder
* Reviews outpatient/inpatient EHR for appropriate documentation and signatures, and reviews interface charges prior to billing. Reviews departmental reporting structures and requests modifications as needed, i.e. adding billing areas, providers, etc. Monitors CPT, ICD-10, and HCPCS code changes. Codes diagnosis for Primary Care/Medical/Non-Surgical accounts using ICD-10 nomenclature. Codes physician's procedures for Primary Care/Medical/Non-Surgical accounts using CPT codes. Interface charges are then released through the billing system. Paper charges are keyed and released through the billing system.
* Reviews coding by physicians and suggest possible modification of codes to maximize reimbursement. Reviews reimbursement from third-party payers to ensure payment through proper use of codes.
* Identifies and resolves potentially troublesome service/billing areas such as continuity of care, discharge summaries, admission history and physicals and consultations.
* May work denied claims.
* May work requests for additional information and correspondence from insurance companies.
* Communicates pertinent information on appropriate documentation to physicians and staff.
* Maintains knowledge of requirements for appropriate charge generation.
* May check, verify and update patient demographic and insurance information or transfers information to Virtual Registration for update as needed.
* Remains current and knowledgeable of various insurance plans for purposes of processing referral and /or pre-authorization requirements.
* Identify unspecified diagnosis used and determine if documentation supports a more specific diagnosis
* May provide education/training to physicians and other providers on coding and clinical documentation.
* May review the complex (problematic coding that needs research and reference checking) medical records and accurately codes the primary/secondary diagnoses and procedures using ICD-10-CM and/or CPT coding conventions.
* Maintain a thorough understanding of anatomy and physiology, medical terminology, disease processes and surgical techniques through participation in continuing education programs to effectively apply ICD-10-CM and CPT coding guidelines to inpatient and outpatient diagnoses and procedures.
* Consult with and educate/train physicians on coding practices and conventions in order to provide detailed coding information.
* Communicate with nursing and ancillary services personnel for needed documentation for accurate coding.
* Provide real-time feedback to surgical/procedural providers as it pertains to proper coding and clinical documentation of services performed.
* Mentor and assists in training of other coders within the department.
* Participate in the development of coding policies and procedures as identified.
* Perform other related duties incidental to the work descriptions above.
* High School Diploma or equivalent required; some college preferred
* CPC, COC, CIC or CCA, CPC-A required
* Anatomy and Physiology Medical terminology Coding software familiarity
* Must obtain passing score of 70 or higher on the following exams: Data entry Alpha Numeric Test, Office Grammar and Spelling Test, Computer Literacy-Basic Test
*** If selected to move forward in the hiring process, you will receive an email invitation to schedule your interview for this position. Please continue to check your email after you have submitted your complete application online.
To check the status of your application, please login to the Careers page and select the Application History tab ***
The University of Kansas Medical Center is committed to providing an equal opportunity for all qualified individuals to be considered for employment, benefits and conditions of employment, and to participate in or benefit from education programs and activities, regardless of race, religion, color, ethnicity, sex, disability, national origin, ancestry, age, status as a veteran, sexual orientation, marital status, parental status, gender identity, gender expression, or genetic information. A university community that provides equal opportunity for all will make significant strides towards the elimination of discrimination.
It is the mission of the Equal Opportunity Office to create a community of equality and inclusiveness that provides full and fair opportunities for all persons and to foster an intellectually and culturally diverse environment of learning and leadership where all individuals are valued, respected, and unhindered in their pursuit of excellence in their work and education.