POOL - LTC Lecturer in Foreign Languages Hybrid 9/10/2016
University of Kansas
JOB DESCRIPTIONAPPLY Position Overview
The Language Training Center, a part of the Center for East Asian Studies at the University of Kansas is seeking part-time lecturers to provide hybrid/blended instruction in French, Spanish, or Portuguese to a military audience located off campus. The lecturers will create and administer online learning materials and graded learning activities for students via Blackboard. The lecturers will also meet with students online via Zoom or other communications media once per week for a minimum of 30 minutes each meeting. Qualified applicants will have a Master s degree in one of the target languages, or a closely related field; advanced proficiency in one of the target languages; and at least one year teaching the language at the intermediate or advanced level in a college or university.
The successful candidate must have appropriate authorization to work in the U.S. before employment begins. Any employment with the University of Kansas is contingent upon satisfactory completion of a background check.
100% - Teaching
* Create and administer the equivalent of 2 hours of online instruction per week at the intermediate level in one of the target languages: French, Spanish, or Portuguese.
* Meet weekly with up to six students individually or in groups for a minimum of 30 minutes each to review assignments and practice using the target language.
* Prepare course materials, exams, and lesson plans in consultation with the language directors and the LTC Pedagogy Specialist.
* Maintain open and timely communication with students outside of class hours via email or other media such as Zoom or Skype.
* Attend periodic meetings with teaching and administrative staff, including training prior to the beginning of the semester.
* Adhere to departmental, college, and university policies.
Evaluation of the following requirements will be made through (1) descriptions of work experience and educational experiences in letter of application, (2) record of accomplishments and productivity addressed in C.V., and (3) information provided from professional references.
* Master s degree or equivalent in the field for which you are applying: French, Spanish, or Portuguese, or a closely related field, OR native speakers with a Master s degree in any discipline are welcome to apply.
* Advanced proficiency in the language for which you are applying: French, Spanish, or Portuguese.
* At least one year of university or college teaching experience at the intermediate or advanced levels in the language in either face-to-face or distance teaching settings.
* Experience in distance teaching
Additional Candidate Instruction
A complete application will include a letter of application, a vitae detailing specific subject areas the applicant is qualified to teach and/or develop, and the names and contact information for three professional references.
Deadline/ Review Date: Ongoing
Estimated Start Date: Ongoing
Contact Information to Applicants
Michael R. DeHaven
Advertised Salary Range
Commensurate with qualifications and experience
Application Review Begins
The University of Kansas prohibits discrimination on the basis of race, color, ethnicity, religion, sex, national origin, age, ancestry, disability, status as a veteran, sexual orientation, marital status, parental status, gender identity, gender expression, genetic information and retaliation in the University's programs and activities. Access to information regarding equal opportunity and diversity worksite posters is available at http://www.humanresources.ku.edu/policies_procedures/category_details/index.aspx*category=8 or you may contact 785-864-4946 or email@example.com for alternate access options. Any inquiries regarding the non-discrimination policies should be directed to: Executive Director of the Office of Institutional Opportunity and Access, IOA@ku.edu, 1246 W. Campus Road, Room 153A, Lawrence, KS, 66045, (785)864-6414, 711 TTY