POOL - Lecturer 9/10/2016
University of Kansas
JOB DESCRIPTIONAPPLY Position Overview
The Department of American Studies invites qualified scholars and professionals to make application for part- to full-time Lecturer positions. Teach one to four, 1-3 hour courses as assigned by the Chairperson of the Program. Lecturers for AMS 110 will also assume responsibility for supervising GTAs. Lecturers may assume limited advising duties and attend in-service meetings designed to improve teaching as determined by the Department Chairperson.
Application materials will be reviewed by the faculty and placed in a pool for consideration for developing and/or teaching undergraduate or graduate courses in American Studies consistent with departmental instructional needs.
The successful candidate must have appropriate authorization to work in the U.S. before employment begins.
100% - Teaching
* Teach one to four, 1-3 hour courses as assigned by the Chairperson of the Program.
* Lecturers for AMS 110 will also assume responsibility for supervising GTAs.
* Lecturers may assume limited advising duties and attend in-service meetings designed to improve teaching as determined by the Department Chairperson.
* Prepare for and attend all class meetings. In case of absence, the lecturer must make arrangements for a substitute to teach class. Classes should not be canceled.
* Provide instruction throughout the semester, usually 3 hours/week, one day a week.
* Develop assignments, administer tests, evaluate student work, provide feedback to students, and assign grades.
* Hold regular office hours for students involved in classes taught.
* Adhere to departmental, College, and university policies.
Evaluation of the following requirements will be made through (1) descriptions of work experience and educational experiences in letter of application, (2) record of accomplishments and productivity addressed in C.V., and (3) information provided from professional references.
* Bachelor's level degree and graduate work in relevant area.
* Demonstrated knowledge of the American Studies course of interest.
* Demonstrated evidence of ability to teach the course.
* M.A. or Ph.D. in American Studies or related field.
* Teaching experience at the university/college level or practical field experience.
* Evidence of prior success in teaching or in the field.
Additional Candidate Instruction
A complete application will include a letter of application, a vitae detailing specific subject areas the applicant is qualified to teach and/or develop, and the names and contact information for three professional references.
Deadline/ Review Date: Ongoing
Estimated Start Date: Ongoing
Contact Information to Applicants
Department of American Studies
Advertised Salary Range
Commensurate with qualifications and experience
Application Review Begins
The University of Kansas prohibits discrimination on the basis of race, color, ethnicity, religion, sex, national origin, age, ancestry, disability, status as a veteran, sexual orientation, marital status, parental status, gender identity, gender expression, genetic information and retaliation in the University's programs and activities. Access to information regarding equal opportunity and diversity worksite posters is available at http://www.humanresources.ku.edu/policies_procedures/category_details/index.aspx*category=8 or you may contact 785-864-4946 or email@example.com for alternate access options. Any inquiries regarding the non-discrimination policies should be directed to: Executive Director of the Office of Institutional Opportunity and Access, IOA@ku.edu, 1246 W. Campus Road, Room 153A, Lawrence, KS, 66045, (785)864-6414, 711 TTY