PRACTICE ASSISTANT I / 40 HOURS / DAY / BWH THORACIC SURGERY
This job is no longer active.
View similar jobs.
POST DATE 9/16/2016
END DATE 10/14/2016
Brigham & Women's Hospital(BWH)
JOB DESCRIPTIONGENERAL SUMMARY/ OVERVIEW STATEMENT:
Brigham and Womens Hospital is dedicated to:
serving the needs of our local and global community
providing the highest quality health care to patients and their families
expanding the boundaries of medicine through research
educating the next generation of health care professional
Brigham and Womens Hospital is committed to putting every Patient First. Every employee plays a role in providing a positive impact on patients and the care they receive at Brigham and Womens Hospital. Your work will be distinguished by the delivery of high-quality and safe patient care, respect and dignity in all interactions with patients, families and colleagues and by customer service excellence.
All employees are expected to embrace this commitment and demonstrate behavioral competencies in the following areas:
People: Focus on serving the community through collaboration and respect
Self Management: Accountability, professionalism and commitment to growth and development
Organization: A commitment to quality, service and exceptional performance
Meeting these expectations is key to the success of your department and the organization.
PRINCIPAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
Perform entry level administrative skills under general supervision.
Answer and transfer telephone calls.
Schedule and register patients for appointments/procedures, confirm appointments/procedures, prepare for patient visit by providing patient with all necessary information and completing all necessary tasks.
Receive patient at arrival, verify and obtain all necessary information, and ensure forms are completed.
Ensure all billing/fiscal information is completed and submitted after visit, including collection and daily reconciliation of any co-payments.
Assist with training and orienting staff as needed.
Provide cross coverage as needed.
Assist with special projects as directed.
Follow HIPAA guidelines for the management of patient privacy and confidentiality.
Other duties, as assigned.
JOB SPECIFIC DUTIES AND RESPONSBILITIES:
1) Answer all incoming phone calls in a polite and courteous manner. Triage all phone calls appropriately throughout the division and hospital. Page Physician Assistants with medical questions from patients, in accordance with protocol.
2) Schedule patients for outpatient clinic appointments, both in person and over the telephone, in as timely a fashion as possible and in accordance with the Attendings directions.
3) Thoroughly create and schedule all coordinating chest x-rays and chest CT scans for the outpatient clinic appointments mentioned above, also in as timely a fashion as possible and in accordance with the Attendings directions.
4) Clearly communicate appointment/imaging information to patients both at time of booking, as well as during confirmation calls (to be made for every patient at least one day before patients appointment).
5) Check-in patients, including obtaining copy of front and back of insurance card for all new patients (or patients who have recently changed insurance), collecting from patient any updates to their Summary 1 and/or Summary 2 forms, and collecting any and all applicable copays.
6) Batch-out copays and deliver copays and batches to Administrative Director/Financial Analyst prior to leaving each day.
7) Check all patient insurance eligibility and obtain all necessary referrals/authorizations prior to each clinic.
8) Responsible for managing the billing rejection and appeal database, RAMS,. Target to be under 25 pending invoices
9) Maintain No-Show list and make notes in Epic and/or mail letters as necessary in regard to patient no-shows/cancellations.
10) Contact patients on Bump list according to Bump list protocol, making notes in LMR and/or mailing letters as necessary according to said protocol.
11) Log all incoming outside hospital imaging, and send to Film Library for upload into Centricity, in a timely fashion.
12) Check Front Desk voicemail daily by 5:00pm.
13) Ensure waiting room and restroom are clean and organized throughout the day. Prepare waiting room at beginning and ending of each day including, but not limited to coffee, magazines, pastries, patient information booklets.
14) Complete clinic check-list weekly.
15) Prepare all temporary charts for patients office visits on a daily basis, including batching out and attaching necessary paperwork to charts. Assemble all charts for late add-ons and walk-ins.
16) Disassemble charts after clinic and scan any medical records received and/or created during patients visit.
17) Communicate with the clinic team, including manager, all patient precautions that the clinic needs to be aware of in regards to treatment.
18) Fax/mail all medical requests to the requesting facility or Physician, in accordance with HIPAA guidelines and regulations.
19) All other duties as assigned by manager.
Level of education required:
Minimum of a high school diploma or GED.
Work experience required:
Minimum six months applicable work experience required.
Some additional training in office systems or other post high school education preferred.
SKILLS/ ABILITIES/ COMPETENCIES REQUIRED:
Technical skills required:
Knowledge of practice operations and standards.
Understanding of procedures including filing, copying, scanning, printing, and faxing.
A. Phone skills:
Ability to use phone system (answer and screen calls, put on hold), answer routine questions and give routine information.
B. Verbal skills:
Ability to interpret information as appropriate, answer routine questions in the most professional manner and communicate in a professional, courteous, clear and concise manner.
C. Organization Skills:
Ability to manage work processes in a neat and orderly way and to sort and alphabetize.
Ability to manage multiple tasks effectively, follow established protocols, and work within systems.
D. Writing Skills:
Ability to correspond and communicate with others clearly and effectively in writing (via e-mail, memo or interoffice note) and to take complete and accurate messages.
E. System Skills:
Ability to type and enter data at an entry level. Entry level understanding of applicable systems.
Understanding of the appropriate use and importance of related forms.
Basic understanding and use of medical terminology.
Basic comprehension of insurance types and referral process.
Basic comprehension of registration and fiscal information.
Knowledgeable and compliant with all hospital, State and Federal requirements (where applicable to job performance), including policy and procedures with The Joint Commission and HIPAA.
JOB SPECIFIC SKILLS/ABILITIES/COMPETENCIES REQUIRED:
1. Excellent interpersonal skills and flexibility.
2. Excellent oral and written skills.
3. Understanding of and ability to use medical terminology.
4. Computer software and word processing skills including: MS Office Suite - Outlook, Word, Excel
5. Requires an ability to work effectively with physicians, physician assistants, and other clinical and support staff.
6. Strong communication and organizational skills.
7. Ability to focus detailed concentrated effort to multiple projects and re-establish priorities as necessary.
8. Ability to effectively respond to time sensitive and confidential issues.
9. Initiative and ability to work both independently and as a member of a functional team.
10. Ability to collect and interpret data from patient records.
BWH Behavioral Competencies
1. People: Focus on serving the community through collaboration and respect