PRACTICE ASSISTANT II / 40 HOURS / DAY / BWH - SURGERY
This job is no longer active.
View similar jobs.
POST DATE 8/10/2016
END DATE 2/22/2017
Brigham & Women's Hospital(BWH)
JOB DESCRIPTIONGENERAL SUMMARY/OVERVIEW STATEMENT:
1. This individual will provide support to the Division of Otolaryngology (ORL) within the Department of Surgery. This individual will assist the Division by handling the practice administrative, surgical coordination, and basic research needs for a Surgeon and cross covering the administrative responsibilities for other ORL surgical practices at Brigham and Womens Hospital (45 Francis Street, Boston, MA 02215- Brigham and Womens Hospital main campus and Patriots Place, Foxboro, MA). In addition, the Practice Assistant II will gain a background in physician office and hospital operations as well as the field of Otolaryngology. This position requires a highly motivated individual with a follow-through approach and strong detail oriented skills.
PRINCIPAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
2. An average workweek for full-time employees consists of forty (40) hours. Employees paid for the work performed as regulated under applicable state and federal laws. Employees are expected to report to work at the start of their schedule. Employees are also expected to work until the end of their scheduled work day. Hourly paid employees are not permitted to leave work prior to the end of the workday without advance notification and approval from the Administrative Director.
3. Manages telephone calls, including setting up appointments and any tests for office and inpatient consultations at Brigham and Womens Hospital. Must assume responsibility for each telephone message, determining nature and urgency of the call, relaying message to physicians or designate and following through quickly, efficiently and appropriately. Positive interactions with patients are critical, as the individual in this position not only represents the physicians but the practice. The Practice Assistant also acts as liaison between patients and clinicians.
4. Must maintain and manage patient medical records. Must review charts prior to patient appointments checking for test results or reports. Assumes responsibility for obtaining diagnostic reports such as laboratory and radiology results as well as operative notes. Follows up and obtains all missing and outstanding reports and assures timely disposition with full documentation.
5. Must have a complete understanding of the appointment and master scheduling system (EPIC). Must be able to create and maintain a master schedule template. Must be able to schedule, cancel, bump, link and reschedule appointments based on based on acuity, urgency, and evolving priority of patient and physician needs.
6. Sorts, reviews and prioritizes all incoming mail. Attach correspondence to the patient record for review and signature. Follow through on all correspondence requests with the physicians as necessary and document responses. Responsible for monitoring the physicians daily dictation into the LMR system, flagging potential problems, and alerting the physicians appropriately. Review the pending approvals daily suggesting changes necessary, and process any copies to external physicians.
7. Requires the ability to work as a team member in the Division. The Practice Assistant is required to cover for other Practice Assistants during illness and vacation. The Practice Assistant works closely with the assigned physicians as well as the nurse practitioner, front desk coordinators, surgical scheduler, managed care coordinator, and other staff as necessary.
8. Must be able to complete general office assignments i.e.: typing, arranging meetings with associates, research meetings, conferences, lectures and all travel arrangements. Must manage the physicians Microsoft Outlook calendar assuring there are no conflicts and creating solutions when conflicts arise.
9. Provide support coverage to Main Phone line
10. Travel between two locations to provide administrative support: 45 Francis Street, Boston, MA 02215- Brigham and Womens Hospital main campus and Patriots Place, Foxboro, MA.
11. Completes other assignments as requested by the physicians and/or Division Administrator.
1. Bachelors Degree, preferred (degree emphasis on business or health care administration etc., preferred)
2. 3-5 years of medical secretarial experience (preferably with surgery versus medicine) preferred.
3. 1-2 years of data base/ entry-level research support experience preferred.
4. Excellent computer skills, proficient with Microsoft Word, Excel, Access, and IDX preferred.
1. Must have the ability to work independently and simultaneously use good judgment.
2. Must be a "team player" and enjoy working with people, both on the telephone and in person, ability to deal with difficult people.
3. Excellent communication (oral and written), leadership, interpersonal and organizational skills absolutely necessary.
4. Medical terminology knowledge is preferred.
5. Excellent typing skills.
6. Knowledge of third-party billing and all current insurance industry.
7. Knowledge of the patient access processes (i.e. admitting, pre-op, registration)
This is a very fast paced ambulatory clinic and office suite environment within a large teaching hospital.
Brigham and Womens Hospital is an Equal Opportunity Employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, creed, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, ancestry, age, veteran status, disability unrelated to job requirements, genetic information, military service, or other protected status.
BRIGHAM AND WOMENS HOSPITAL I CARE STANDARDS
The I CARE Standards guide me in my interactions with patients, family members, visitors, colleagues, and neighbors in my workplace and surrounding community to optimize the Brigham experience and help fulfill my role in our mission of providing seamless, high quality patient and family centered care.
C. I WILL COMMUNICATE MY COMMITMENT TO HIGH QUALITY PERFORMANCE
A. I WILL APPEAR AND ACT AS A PROFESSIONAL
R. I WILL RESPECT ALL INDIVIDUALS
E. I WILL EXTEND MYSELF