PRACTICE ASSISTANT II / 40 HOURS / DAY / BWH SURGERY, Weymouth
This job is no longer active.
View similar jobs.
POST DATE 9/10/2016
END DATE 11/19/2016
Brigham & Women's Hospital(BWH)
JOB DESCRIPTIONGENERAL SUMMARY/OVERVIEW STATEMENT:
The Practice Assistant II for Brigham and Womens Surgical Associates at South Shore Hospital will be responsible for supporting the busy ambulatory practices of two surgeons with overall responsibility for upholding the customer service and revenue cycle standards of the practice This individual must be highly energetic with strong interpersonal skills and flexibility. The Practice Assistant will be responsible for scheduling patient appointments and coordinating the pre-visit process, coordinating and scheduling surgical cases, and ensuring all related ancillary testing is completed as requested by the physicians. The Practice Assistant will also assist the Medical Assistant with coordinating patient flow during clinic sessions, and will assist the Administrator with front-end revenue cycle activities as requested by the Dept of Surgery Central Business Office. Administrative responsibilities will include, without limitation, all generally accepted office responsibilities. answering phones, preparing correspondence, maintaining filing and entering/editing information into the practice information systems.
PRINCIPAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
1. Responsible for all patient scheduling for surgeons, which includes: office visits, consultations, diagnostic tests and procedures, admission and surgery. Completes all appropriate requisitions and paperwork.
2. Handle all telephone calls and messages relating to clinical questions, insurance forms, return to work/school authorizations, etc. Provide communication via Microsoft Outlook to ensure all members of team are aware of outcome.Utilize Microsoft Outlook to communicate with MD regarding questions and requests.
3. Process all prior authorizations to ensure approval is in place in advance of radiology test and/or surgical date. Utilizing eligibility checking systems and authorization tracking systems utilized by the practice to ensure patients insurance coverage is appropriate and eligible at time of scheduled visit and procedures.
4. Prepare and review new patient charts, oversee patient schedule and review all patients insurance for eligibility via eligibility reporting, on a daily basis.
5. Answers and screens incoming phone calls for surgical practice. This includes triage of calls in a courteous manner, handling calls when possible, and when necessary, taking thorough messages. Greets and directs patients and visitors. Covers telephones for other secretaries in division when requested.
6. Must be comfortable using the following hospital systems including but not limited to: IDX Web, Percipio, LMR, BICs, Microsoft Word, Excel and Outlook.
7. Coordinate all clinical and administrative meetings for MD. Assist MD with on-call schedule, maintain MD outlook calendar to accurately reflect the clinic, administrative and surgical schedule at all hospitals where MD may perform surgeries and ensures communications between institutions.
8. Assist and cover front end check-in of patients for multiple surgeons running clinics concurrently. Collecting and processing copayments, triage of questions and ensuring all intake paperwork is complete and organized prior to handing off to medical assistant to room patient.
9. Perform all other duties as assigned, including all generally accepted office functions such as faxing, filing, photocopying, completion of forms and mailing of physician letters as required. Will be required to assist as back-up for other cross-trained staff when short-handed and cover telephones for other secretaries in practice when requested.
Level of education required:
Bachelors degree or equivalent work experience preferred.
Experience in a clinical operations (preferably within surgery).
Excellent computer skills: proficiency with Microsoft Outlook, Word, and Excel.
Work experience required:
Excellent organizational skills.
Knowledge of Medical Terminology is preferred.
Computer knowledge required: Windows, Networking, MS Outlook, MS Word and MS Excel.
1. Must possess strong communication and independent decision making skills in fast paced environment.
2. Excellent interpersonal skills and flexibility, with the ability to work with a team of 6 co-workers, often handling similar tasks.
3. Must possess medical terminology knowledge, analytical abilities and sound judgement for interpretation of complex data, and documentation of pertinent patient information, and when it is appropriate and necessary to involve MD in patient questions.
4. Computer skills (Word, Excel, IDX Lotus Notes, Outlook, etc.) required.
5. Ability to handle multiple tasks and establish priorities in an organized manner, in the midst of a busy environment .
6. Sensitivity to seriously ill patients and strong interpersonal skills to interact with them.
7. Ability to manage multiple priorities, meet deadlines and complete work in fast paced setting.
8. Ability to use discretion in confidential matters.
9. Ability to read, write and articulate in English is required.
Brigham and Womens Hospital is an Equal Opportunity Employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, creed, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, ancestry, age, veteran status, disability unrelated to job requirements, genetic information, military service, or other protected status.
BRIGHAM AND WOMENS HOSPITAL I CARE STANDARDS
The I CARE Standards guide me in my interactions with patients, family members, visitors, colleagues, and neighbors in my workplace and surrounding community to optimize the Brigham experience and help fulfill my role in our mission of providing seamless, high quality patient and family centered care.
C. I WILL COMMUNICATE MY COMMITMENT TO HIGH QUALITY PERFORMANCE
A. I WILL APPEAR AND ACT AS A PROFESSIONAL
R. I WILL RESPECT ALL INDIVIDUALS
E. I WILL EXTEND MYSELF