PT Afternoon Specimen Processor (Jericho, NY)
This job is no longer active.
View similar jobs.
POST DATE 9/13/2016
END DATE 11/13/2016
IDEXX Laboratories, Inc
JOB DESCRIPTIONTHE SPECIMEN PROCESSOR I receives and prepares samples for laboratory analyses and tests. Prepares samples on slides or other testing format, records required information and sends to appropriate specialty lab area. May be cross-trained to perform basic Laboratory Technician duties, such as performing less complex tests. May be responsible for various support activities, including maintaining supply inventory, record-keeping, cleaning, clerical tasks, supply shipping and receiving, mail distribution and other related duties.
THIS IS A PART-TIME AFTERNOON POSITION, HOURS ARE
MONDAY THROUGH FRIDAY, 2:00PM - 6:30PM.
PRIMARY DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
* Receives and prepares samples for laboratory analyses and tests to diagnose various pet and other animal illnesses, injuries and diseases in support of veterinarian animal treatment.
* Removes specimens from transport bags and splits as needed for multiple testing. Places specimens on slides or other testing format. Retrieves and prepares add-on's and rechecks.
* Records information about specimens. Labels and numbers slides, specimens and submittals. Enters specimen data into tracking system. Make copies of submittals. Matches test slips with incoming specimens. Prepares work lists for each testing department. Verifies accuracy of information.
* Racks and bundles prepared samples for delivery to each testing department. Verifies samples are in correct locations.
* Assists other lab personnel with specimen storage and ensuring Turn Around Times (TAT's) are met.
* Reads, understands and follows applicable Standard Operating Procedures (SOP's), including safety and quality procedures. Maintains clean and organized work area. Restocks supplies as needed.
* Participates in improving lab efficiency, quality and cooperation.
* May be cross-trained to perform basic Laboratory Technician duties, such as performing less complex tests.
* May be responsible for various support activities, including maintaining supply inventory, record-keeping, shipping and receiving, cleaning and other related duties. Checks inventory of supplies, stocks shelves and maintains order in stockroom. Ensures documents are completed according to established SOPs and reflect current manufacturing processes and label claims. May sort incoming specimens for processing track and sort X-Rays, Coggins and other items for delivery and create work orders in system for deliverable items. May assemble equipment as needed. Prepares and ships supplies, including processing related documentation. Performs variety of administrative duties, such as answering and routing incoming calls, maintaining visitor badges and logs and other related activities.
* Receives and prepares samples for laboratory analyses and tests.
* Prepares samples on slides or other testing format, records required information and sends to appropriate specialty lab area.
* Knowledge of medical and laboratory terminology and specimen processing procedures and equipment helpful.
* Work under close to moderate supervision with limited latitude for independent judgment.
* Consult with senior peers on non-complex specimen processing tasks to learn through experience.
* Normally receives general instructions on routine work, detailed instructions on new assignments.
* Basic skills with moderate level of proficiency.
* Applies job skills and lab policies and procedures to complete a variety of tasks.
* Works on specimen processing tasks that are semi-routine in nature where ability to recognize deviation from accepted practice is required.
* Performs other duties as assigned.
* Adheres to and models the IDEXX Purpose & Guiding Principles.
* RELIABLE AND DEPENDABLE ATTENDANCE IS AN ESSENTIAL FUNCTION OF THE POSITION. ADHERENCE TO ATTENDANCE-RELATED POLICIES AND EXPECTATIONS IS CRITICAL TO THIS POSITION.
IDEXX Laboratories, Inc. is a leader in pet healthcare innovation, serving practicing veterinarians around the world with a broad range of diagnostic and information technology-based products and services. IDEXX products enhance the ability of veterinarians to provide advanced medical care, improve staff efficiency and build more economically successful practices. IDEXX is also a worldwide leader in providing diagnostic tests and information for livestock and poultry and tests for the quality and safety of water and milk. Headquartered in Maine, IDEXX Laboratories employs more than 6,000 people and offers products to customers in over 175 countries. EDUCATION:
* High School Diploma or equivalent required, 2, 3 or 4 year degree in Science-related field preferred.
* Typically 0-1 Years of related experience.
REQUIRED SKILLS AND ABILITIES:
* Laboratory skills and experience helpful.
* General science background, including hematology/chemistry helpful.
* Attention to detail.
* Organized with ability to multi-task in a fast paced environment.
* Ability to work independently and as part of a team.
* Communication skills, both verbal and written.
* Positive, can-do attitude.
* Basic math, interpretive and analytical skills.
* Data entry skills required.
* Supervisory skills, if a lead position.
* Personal computer skills, including strong typing ability and proficient use of Microsoft Office.
* Extensive sitting, phone and computer use.
* Capable of standing continuously for up to 2 hours.
* Extend and reach with hands and arms and use hands and fingers.
* Occasionally required to climb, balance, bend, stoop, kneel or crouch.
* May be required to lift, move and carry up to 50 pounds.
* Specific vision abilities required include close vision, color vision, depth perception, and the ability to adjust focus.
* Hearing acuity sufficient to effectively communicate with customers and Employees via telephone and in person.
* Ability to communicate verbally on phone and in person.
* Fluency in the English language.
* Extended hours may be required.
* Some travel required.
* Laboratory environment with potential biohazards present.
* Potential for exposure to agents known to cause zoonotic disease in humans and use of potentially hazardous chemicals as defined by the National Hazard Communication Standards. A complete list of such chemicals is available from department supervision.
No unsolicited Employment Agency resumes are accepted.