PT Assistant - IP Resource/Weekends 9/7/2016
Mary Free Bed Rehabilitation
Grand Rapids, MI
JOB DESCRIPTIONAPPLY We have the great privilege of helping patients and families re-build their lives. It's extraordinarily meaningful work and the reason we greet the day with optimism and anticipation. When patients \\"Ask for Mary,\\" they experience a culture that has been sculpted for more than a century. Our hallmark is to carefully listen to patients and innovatively serve them.
Mary Free Bed is a not-for-profit, nationally accredited, rehabilitation hospital with 167 inpatient beds - 119 acute and 48 sub-acute. There are numerous outpatient programs as well as home and community services. With the most comprehensive rehabilitation services in Michigan and an exclusive focus on rehabilitation, Mary Free Bed physicians, nurses and therapists help our patients achieve outstanding clinical outcomes.
Restoring hope and freedom through rehabilitation.
Provides physical therapy services as assigned by, and under the supervision of, a physical therapist. Keeps treatment skills updated through continuing education, evidence based research, and program development. Perform job responsibilities in accordance with the program's strategic objectives and goals to carry out organizational strategic objectives.
Age and Clinical Specific Competencies:
Must be able to demonstrate the knowledge and skills necessary to provide care appropriate to the age of the patients served in assigned department. Must demonstrate knowledge of the principles of growth and development over the life span and possess the ability to assess data reflective of the patient's status and interpret the appropriate information needed to identify each patient's requirements relative to his or her age-specific needs, and to provide the care needed as described in the department's policies and procedures.
Essential Job Responsibilities:
Each job responsibility is related to the MFB Pillars of Excellence. The responsibility is identified to a pillar by the following letters: Q (Quality), S (Service), P (People), G (Growth), F (Financial).
* Provides patient care. (Q)
* Assists the physical therapist in treatment planning and conducting evaluation procedures.
* Assists the physical therapist in treating patients utilizing modalities, therapeutic exercise, assistive devices, and functional activities.
* Provides verbal and/or written feedback to the physical therapist regarding all significant observations or changes in the patient's condition, reaction, and response to treatment.
* Assists the physical therapist in determining equipment and supply needs and may participate in the acquisition and inventory of these items.
* Document's patient's status and progress according to established internal/external time standards and adherence to reimbursement guidelines. (Q)
* Communicates with others to integrate physical therapy treatment with all aspects of patient care. (Q, S)
* Participates in conferences/discussions and exchange of written records with other interdisciplinary team members as directed by the physical therapist to integrate physical therapy treatment plan.
* Instructs the patient and the family in physical therapy procedures as part of providing patient and family education including written instructions as necessary.
* Attends various meetings and in-services as designated. (Q, P)
* Follows all hospital policy and procedures including but not limited to patient confidentiality and infection control. (Q)
* Meets or exceeds program productivity expectations. (F)
* Provides discipline specific coverage (following cross training) within the Mary Free Bed system as requested. (F, S)
* Supports program operations as assigned. (Q, S, P, G, F)
Other Job Responsibilities:
* Serves as clinical instructor for physical therapist assistant students. Supervises, teaches, and evaluates skills of students and volunteers. Communicates with participating universities regarding skill levels of students. (S, P, G)
* Participates in program development and/or research activities as assigned. (Q, G)
* Participates in orientation and training of new staff. (Q, P)
* Assists in maintaining clean and orderly treatment areas. (S)
* Demonstrates competence in relevant software and hardware required to meet job responsibilities. (Q)
Customer Service Responsibilities:
Demonstrates excellent customer service behaviors consistent with organizational and departmental standards. Consistently promotes teamwork and direct communication with co-workers. Deals discretely and sensitively with confidential information.
Responsibilities in Quality Improvement:
Contributes by identifying problems and seeking solutions. Promotes patient/family satisfaction where possible; participates in departmental efforts to monitor and report customer service.
Essential Job Qualifications (Knowledge, Education, and Training Requirements):
* Graduate of an accredited Physical Therapist Assistant Program.
* Licensure with the State of Michigan.
* Possesses and maintains CPR certification to meet department/program protocol.
* Physical Demands: The physical ability to lift, position, and transport patients; to frequently sit, stand, walk, bend, kneel, twist, crawl, grasp, reach, and occasionally climb; ability to hear, speak, write, and see (correctable vision); ability to frequently lift up to 75 pounds, and occasionally lift in excess of 75 pounds; ability to frequently push, pull, or carry weight anywhere from 1 to 100+ pounds while assisting patients and moving equipment; ability to exert up to 20-50 pounds of force occasionally, 10-20 pounds of force frequently, and exert up to 10 pounds of force constantly.