This job is no longer active.
View similar jobs.
POST DATE 8/15/2016
END DATE 11/12/2016
Carol Stream, IL
JOB DESCRIPTIONMISSION / SUMMARY
The mission of the Innovation and Design (I&D) organization is to bring forth new packaging solutions through creative structural and manufacturing design, working collaboratively with our customer service, sales, internal graphic designers, machinery and systems engineers, business development team members, market and product managers, manufacturing and quality assurance personnel, key supplier partners and ultimately interfacing with customers to understand their unmet needs, consumer unmet needs, and marketing objectives.
The Structural Design team, within Innovation and Design, is responsible for the development of, and modification to, both new and existing paperboard carton structure designs. The primary output of the Structural Design team is comprehensive, production-ready one-up drawings, which are ultimately used to design, specify, and procure production tooling for manufacturing of finished paperboard cartons. The secondary output are conceptual one-up drawings that meet and exceed the requirements of the end customer. The overall Structural Design process is accomplished utilizing ArtiosCAD and SAP software applications as well as sample plotter tables for prototypes.
POSITION MAIN RESPONSIBILITIES: Principal Duties and Responsibilities:
Structural Design and Software use:
* Actively monitor, maintain, and control work schedule and back-log (design requests, plotter sample requests, conversion request, etc.)
* Full understanding and utilization of the Artios CAD system to execute Carton Design tasks to required customer and plant specifications (conceptual designs and production ready).
* Fully apply all GPI Design standards and customer and plant specification formats during Carton Design process for responsible product line (customers and platform e.g. Microwave, Zflute, Litho/Micro flute, CPD, Beverage, etc.).
* Accurately finalize one-up carton design specifications prior to release for converting and machinery organizations.
* Understand and effectively apply test procedures for validating performance of packages and features under development.
* Develops pro-active alternative designs for better form & function, on shelf appearance, sustainability, increased production efficiency, cost savings and/or margin improvement.
* Uses 2D and 3D conceptualization techniques
* Cut qualifying and prototype samples for customer and testing
* Attend machinery check-out testing, or other design validation testing events, to assess, modify or approve carton designs as necessary
* Complete Quality Checks on designs for Structural Designers I
Teamwork and Coordination of Design Projects:
* Coordinate with other designers working on projects
* Complete Carton Design projects while fully coordinating with customer, sales, customer service, manufacturing design, and carton converting groups as required
* Function as an effective global leader and focal point for design-related detail and general communication. Produce materials to support the communication process when required.
* In-depth interaction with customer representatives during the packaging design process.
Continuous Improvement Project Management
* Identify, develop, and lead Continuous Improvement initiatives
* Drive the development and modification of CAD design standards, tools, processes and training materials
* Fully develop & apply design related documentation, process detail, specifications, and intellectual property protection processes
* Actively participate in, and contribute to, local Culture Development ideas, initiatives, and activities
* Search out and implement cost saving initiatives
Skill Development and learning
* Train & mentor less experienced designers in Carton Design disciplines and procedures.
* Actively participate in employee certification and re-certification activities (must be certified in ArtiosCAD, Plotter Room, Structural Design I-III, and at least 2 specialty product lines (e.g. Microwave, ZFlute, Fluted, QSR, Detergent, etc.)
* Other duties as assigned.