This job is no longer active.
View similar jobs.
POST DATE 8/16/2016
END DATE 10/14/2016
JOB DESCRIPTIONAPPLY The Packaging Engineer is responsible for executing packaging projects on future and existing product formats in support of the manufacturing operations to ensure customer service, profitability, and continuous improvement. This position reports to the Director of Engineering and Technical Services.
* Design, develop, engineer and trouble-shoot methods, materials and systems in the area of packaging categories and materials.
* Evaluate packaging materials, designs, processes, and equipment to improve cost, quality properties, runability, and meet customer requirements.
* Able to select materials to meet optimal performance and cost.
* Work with packaging suppliers, raw material suppliers, and production line/automation engineers to evaluate current materials/processes and explore areas for improvement.
* Qualify and recommend new suppliers in support of cost savings and technology capability efforts.
* Organize and lead real or simulated testing to qualify package design, material specification, or "fit for use" application of packages.
* Organize production trials with the plants to qualify packaging within the manufacturing facilities for new product launches, startups as well as to develop best performance line setups and practices.
* Provide informational reports and proposals for production optimization, standardized specifications and best practice guidelines to management for decision making.
* Serve as Project Manager for packaging equipment related projects or operations support projects as assigned.
* Bachelor's degree in Packaging Engineering, Mechanical Engineering or Related Science.
* 5+ years' experience with consumer packaged goods in a packaging development role.
* Corrugated design experience with packaging products in a manufacturing setting.
* Strong leadership and analytical skills.
* Excellent verbal and written communication skills.
* Strong working knowledge of Windows applications (Word, Excel, Access, Outlook).
* Ability to effectively establish working relationships with various S&D departments / supervisors and management personnel.
* Ability to travel to customer or vendor sites as required (up to 25% travel)
* Ability to work weekends and extended hours as needed to support operational needs.
* Ability to participate in an on-call rotation
* Folding Carton design experience with packaging products in a manufacturing setting.
* Film/bag design (flow-wrap and form-fill-seal) experience with packaging products in a manufacturing setting.
* Blown molded and injection molded experience with packaging products in a manufacturing setting.
* Special feature design (closure, re-closure, display etc.) experience with packaging products in a manufacturing setting.
* Work experience with food packaging design, manufacturing and/or use.
* Experience monitoring, evaluating, and reporting observations and recommendations for packaging materials and production lines.
We are an equal opportunity employer and all qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, disability status, protected veteran status, sexual orientation, gender identity, or any other characteristic protected by law.