Paralegal - Corporate Group
This job is no longer active.
View similar jobs.
POST DATE 9/10/2016
END DATE 11/3/2016
Des Moines, IA
JOB DESCRIPTIONAssist attorneys in helping to keep the company in compliance with all relevant legal and ethical requirements, helping the company optimize opportunities, minimize risks and maintain good communication and documentation practices (more details in job functions description below). Many of these tasks fall into a routine schedule; others come up on an as needed when needed (and sometimes urgent) basis.
I. Job Summary
Assist attorneys in helping to keep the company in compliance with all relevant legal and ethical requirements, helping the company optimize opportunities, minimize risks and maintain good communication and documentation practices (more details in job functions description below). Many of these tasks fall into a routine schedule; others come up on an as needed when needed (and sometimes urgent) basis.
II. Essential Job Functions
Support corporate legal function including corporate governance, securities and corporate secretary functions, compensation and benefits, human resources, and finance, in the following ways:
- Make timely and accurate parent and subsidiary filings of annual and biannual registrations, postal ownership reports, business license, and other corporate governmental filings.
- Supervise preparation and filing of documents necessary to qualify to do or withdraw from doing business, or merge Meredith and affiliated entities in the various states where Meredith conducts business.
- Maintain records for Meredith Corporation, its subsidiaries, associated non-profit corporations, and its officers, directors, and management, including creation of Unanimous Written Consents and Resolutions.
- Maintain accurate and timely information, records, and documentation, including preparation of the quarterly Litigation Report and Litigation Reserve worksheet, litigation database, and annual review and reports on litigation history.
- Administer elements of the Code of Business Conduct and other training programs. Monitor the Ethics Compliance lines and, keeping the responsible attorney informed/involved ensure reports are assigned, being handled, and resolutions are timely completed. Prepare initial quarterly log of reports for Audit Committee, and collect information tracking our compliance program efforts.
- Administer routine bankruptcy work and assist attorney to maximize recovery for company by bankrupt parties by preparing the Bankruptcy Memo once per quarter and filing proof of claim forms.
- Assist in administration of Corporate Department outside counsel invoices for General Counsel and help maintain a useful database tracking outside counsel spending.
- Review all qualified domestic relations orders (QDROs) and facilitate their administration through the Benefits department.
- Appropriately prepare responses to subpoenas.
- Update the EEOC Insurer report biannually.
- Notify employees on Insider Trading issues by preparing quarterly Blackout Memo and updating quarterly its distribution list.
Diligently and accurately perform and/or manage clerical and administrative functions, including administering expense reports, scheduling appointments, answering the phone, filing and managing filing, and document creation, production, and management.
Provide Corporate Development, contract and litigation support and assistance with due diligence, investigations, and organizational projects:
- Organize responses to discovery requests.
- Investigate facts and review records and prepare documents relevant to claims and threatened claims, including e-discovery investigations.
- Research into people and parties.
- Perform routine updates of legal forms and documents, policies and procedures.
- Review and advise with respect to certain contracts.
Assist business people with form and routine contracts, for example event (hotel, catering) agreements and confidentiality agreements.
Serve as back up for other legal assistants.
III. Minimum Qualifications and Job Requirements
Legal Assistance certificate or four-year college degree
Two years experience as paralegal or equivalent experience
Specific Knowledge, Skills and Abilities:
Facility with Microsoft Suite including Word, Excel, PowerPoint, and Access; general adaptability to Internet, Digital and online tools
Travel Required: None.