This job is no longer active.
View similar jobs.
POST DATE 9/15/2016
END DATE 10/19/2016
National General Insurance Company
Garden City, NY
Under general supervision, the incumbent serves as a paralegal to an insurance house counsel office, assisting attorneys and other paralegals in all phases of litigation.
Duties and Responsibilities:
For all duties and responsibilities, incumbent will take ownership of any issue, problem, or error.
* Preparation of legal documents, including pleadings and motions along with exhibits thereto for service and filing.
* Prepare affidavits or other documents, maintain document file, and file pleadings with court clerk.
* Gather and analyze research data, such as statutes, decisions, and legal articles, codes and documents.
* Investigate facts and law of cases to determine causes of action and prepare cases.
* Gathers documents and information from clients, insured's, third parties and opposing parties.
* Assists with the collection, processing and review of discovery, including medical records.
* Prepares chronologies and witness lists.
* Maintains and updates client databases.
* Coordinates and prepares documents for production including the creation of privilege logs and databases.
* Assists attorneys in the preparation for depositions, including the preparation of witness files and maintains deposition and exhibit files and indexes.
* Assists attorneys and coordinates the paper and e-filing of pleadings and court documents.
* Call upon witnesses to testify at depositions, hearings and trial.
* Handles general administrative case and document requests from opposing counsel and clients.
* Keep and monitor legal volumes to ensure that law library is up-to-date.
Assumes additional responsibilities as assigned.
Technical Competencies and Requirements:
* Demonstrates proficiency with basic computer skills using MS Office Applications (Excel, Word, Access and PowerPoint).
* Demonstrates proficiency in computerized legal research databases (Lexis and Westlaw).
* Knowledge of legal terminology and procedures.
* Familiarity with the court system and procedures.
* Ability to gather data, compile information, and prepare reports.
* Database and records management skills.
* Ability to analyze and solve problems.
* Certificate or degree in paralegal studies.
* 5+ years of paralegal experience in general litigation.
* Demonstrates a high degree of initiative, mature judgment, and discretion.
* Demonstrates professional oral and written communication skills.
* Demonstrates effective organization, time management and customer service skills.
* Demonstrates the ability to handle multiple tasks in a timely manner.
We are an equal employment opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, gender, national origin, disability status, protected veteran status or any other characteristic protected by law.