Part-time Extractions Technician- Orlando, FL
This job is no longer active.
View similar jobs.
POST DATE 9/14/2016
END DATE 10/15/2016
SGS North America
JOB DESCRIPTIONAPPLY POSITION SUMMARY
The primary function of an extraction technician is to extract organic compounds of interest from the matrix into an appropriate solvent to analyze on GC or GC/MS. In this position, after appropriate training, the technician must be able to appropriately follow and document the procedures in the SOP s.
The technician performs microwave, sonication, separatory funnel or other advanced extraction procedures. Must be able to perform EPH fractionation or other sample clean-up procedures utilizing either manual or automated systems.
Note: Technician responsibilities will vary by level. Technicians are further classified into the following levels based on their proficiency in the lab; training, level 1, level 2, level 3, and level 4.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES & RESPONSIBILITIES
* Must be able to work safely at all times and follow all lab safety rules
* Must be proficient in basic lab techniques including the use of volumetric and gravimetric measurement techniques
* Must follow SOPs and appropriately document all parts of the extraction procedure.
* Correctly follow sample custody acceptance and relinquishment procedures
* Must adhere to all necessary Quality Assurance/Quality Control requirements and document as necessary.
* Must follow lab procedures to minimize solvent emissions and exposure.
* Must be able to follow detailed instructions.
* Must be willing to adopt a team approach.
* Must be dependable and on time.
* Must be willing to work together with other team members to achieve production goals.
Receive close supervision related to specific work activities, assignments, methods, etc; usually receive frequent surveillance over job activities; instructions are detailed and assignments are typical short-term.
EDUCATION & EXPERIENCE
* Associates degree in a science field with relevant lab classes or equivalent experience.
* Ability to read and interpret documents such as safety rules, operating and maintenance instructions, and procedure manuals. Ability to write routine reports and correspondence. Ability to speak effectively before groups of customers or employees of organization.
* Ability to add and subtract two digit numbers and to multiply and divide with 10's and 100's. Ability to perform these operations using units of American money and weight measurement, volume, and distance.
* Ability to apply common sense understanding to carry out detailed but uninvolved written or oral instructions. Ability to deal with problems involving a few concrete variables in standardized situations.
* Basic personal computer skills.
* The ability to separate emotional feelings from the real issues at hand. The ability to legitimately and objectively challenge the substance of our beliefs and biases of our observations.
* The ability to meet commitments made to oneself and others, keeping the promises made, and acknowledging and accepting the choices made, the actions taken, and the results they have led to.
* The ability to speak effectively using appropriate convention based on the situation; actively listens to others, asks questions to verify understanding, and uses tact and consideration when delivering feedback to others.
* Demonstrate responsiveness and adaptability following change initiatives, and demonstrates ongoing support for change efforts.
* Understand and comprehend information, as well as find application and value from new knowledge.
* Exhibits high levels of energy and enthusiasm.
* Methodical and efficient in structuring tasks to be accomplished.
* Demonstrates a sound working knowledge of current role and the technical systems, applications and equipment used in performing this role, and understands the impact this role has on other business functions within the organization.
* Writes and speaks effectively based on the psychological, relational, situation, environmental and cultural dynamics within the situation.
* Encourages and embrace dialogue from team members, while anticipating and resolving conflicting differences by exploring mutually agreeable solutions.
* Demonstrates effectiveness and flexibility with changing environments, responsibilities, tasks, and people.
* Follows detailed procedures to ensure accuracy in the entry and reporting of data.
* Uses time efficiently by prioritizing and planning work activities.
* Demonstrates upmost level of integrity in all instances, and shows respect towards others and towards company principles.
* Shares key information with others involved in a project or effort, works in harmony to accomplish objectives, responds with enthusiasm to directives, and shows support for departmental and organizational decisions.
* Sets high standards and measures of excellence to ensure quality assurance in every aspect of work performed.
* Takes personal responsibility and ownership for adhering to all company policies and procedures while also completing work timely and in accordance with performance expectations.
* Moving about on foot to accomplish task for sustained periods of time.
* Standing, particularly for sustained periods of time.
* Raising objects from a lower to a higher position or moving object horizontally from position to position.
* Substantial movements (motion) of the wrist, hands, and/or fingers in a repetitive manner.
* Close vision (clear vision at 20 inches or less)
* Color vision (ability to identify and distinguish colors)
* Depth perception (three-dimensional vision, ability to judge distances and spatial relationships)
* Moderate physical activity performing somewhat strenuous daily activities of a primarily product/technical nature.
* Exerting up to 50 pounds of force occasionally to lift, carry, pull, or otherwise move objects.
* Manual dexterity sufficient to reach/handle items, works with the fingers, and perceives attributes of objects and materials.
* Well-lighted, heated and/or air-conditioned indoor office/production setting with adequate ventilation.
* Fumes or airborne particles (Under Fume Hoods)
* Air contamination (i.e., dust, fume, smoke, toxic conditions, disagreeable odors) (Fume Hoods)
* Toxic or caustic chemicals (Under Fume Hoods), PPE mandatory
* Moderate noise (examples: business office with computers and printers, light traffic).
* Regular work schedule.
* According to sample load, late evenings or Saturdays may be required. Average OT for this position is 5 hours per week.
* Minimal travel.
* To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily with or without reasonable accommodations. The requirements listed above are representative of the knowledge, skill, and/or ability required.
* This job description should not be construed as an exhaustive statement of duties, responsibilities or requirements, but a general description of the job. Nothing contained herein restricts the company s rights to assign or reassign duties and responsibilities to this job at any time.
* SGS is an EOE AA M/F/Vet/Disability employer.
Qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to their race, color, religion, national origin, sex, protected veteran status or disability.
If you are applying for a position within the United States and you have difficulty completing the on-line employment application BECAUSE OF A DISABILITY, please call 201-508-3149 for assistance and leave a message. You will be called