This job is no longer active.
View similar jobs.
POST DATE 9/17/2016
END DATE 12/16/2016
BIC products are known and appreciated all over the world for their quality, their affordability and ease of use. The ballpoint pen, the pocket lighter, the one-piece shaver are all part of the daily lives of millions of consumers. These products make BIC one of the best known international brands, present in 3.2 million retail outlets, in more than 160 countries. As we explore the tremendous opportunities ahead, we have a need for dedicated and dynamic employees to help build our team.
Our Patent Agents contribute to the product development initiatives of BIC Group in its stationery, lighter and razor businesses by building and managing the United States patent portfolio and the clearance process for new technologies and innovation from the product development teams. Incumbents will also advise the technical and business teams within the organization by providing strategic input on building a strong patent portfolio through a pro-active approach to IP. Duties to include but not limited to:
* Develop strategies for protecting team innovations while balancing budget, patentability and strategic value of new IP assets.
* Coordinate all the Patent portfolio development activities pertaining to U.S. first filings. Prosecute patents before the USPTO.
* Evaluate patent issues related to design concepts proposed.
* Initiate, coordinate, review and communicate Freedom to Operate (FTO) analysis /Preliminary Patent Clearance (PTC) for all product development projects with R&D, internal and external counsel.
* Monitor and communicate legal tasks and status for the product development projects.
* Patent mapping of IP assets to products sold in the U.S.
* Organize and communicate relevant and latest patent Publications and monitor for impact on BIC s development and patent prosecution activities.
* Communicate with internal and external legal advisors in order to organize legal team responsibilities and provide direction to outside counsel on patent matters.
* Recommend and support strategic patent portfolio development.
* Understand the key competitor product and patent assets along with possible connected associations.
* Must be a registered patent agent with admission to the USPTO.
* Must have an engineering degree preferably a mechanical engineer.
* Minimum of 5 years experience prosecuting patents at the USPTO.
* Product development experience in Consumer Packaged Goods industry preferable.
* Experience in multinational and multicultural environment.
* Regular travel to Europe.
* International patent law knowledge preferable.
* Must be able to navigate in a complex international business and international patent law environment while maintaining a critical level of excellence following national rules.
* Must possess the ability to work autonomously with support from the US and Europe.
* Open minded to technical subject and culture.
BIC offers a competitive salary, health insurance and 401(k). Successful candidates are required to pass a drug test and undergo a security check.
BIC Corporation is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, disability, or protected Veteran status.Drug-Free Workplace.