Pathology Team Leader / Stem Cell Lab 9/3/2016
Beth Israel Deaconess Medical Center
JOB DESCRIPTIONAPPLY JOB SUMMARY: Performs and oversees a full range of laboratory tests which range from moderately simple to highly complex testing according to Standard Operating Procedures. Confirms accuracy of tests results and reports laboratory findings to the Pathologists and other Clinicians.
DEPARTMENT SPECIFIC JOB RESPONSIBILITIES:
* Coordinate functions of the Stem Cell Processing Lab including scheduling, inventory control, assuring accountability and reliable laboratory results.
* Maintains compliance with all federal, state and accrediting organization regulations, including the Foundation for the Accreditation of Cellular Therapy (FACT).
* Responsible for Standard Operating Procedures and maintaining the lab portion of FACT accreditation; affecting improvements, insuring the quality of equipment and materials, and assuring that existing and new laboratory procedures are approved, performed correctly, and reported properly.
* Maintain efficient record systems and perform related duties in the best interests of the Stem Cell Laboratory and patients. Coordinate stem cell laboratory services between pathology, laboratory, the stem cell unit, business services, and any other integrative team members. Assist with clinical and pathology labs as a lab technologist.
* Serves as a resource for assigned areas of expertise and provides technical support to staff. Assists in researching new tests, performs instrument evaluations, writes standard operating procedures, and maintains supplies for their areas of expertise. Resolves technical problems and troubleshoots when test systems are not within established levels of performance.
* Oversees periodic review of quality control and instrumentation logs to ensure accuracy of test results. Provides input into technical decisions, acts as expert for data collection and gathers monthly QC statistics. Functions as the technical on-call person for the off-shifts.
* Demonstrates excellent skills at managing and directing workflow. Monitors the daily operations and delegation of duties within the lab. Reallocates resources as needed.
* Trains Medical Technologists and Medical Lab Technologists. Participates in the development of training and competency procedures. Instructs of residents and fellows.
* Serves as liaisons between Lab Support Services and technical departments and provides timely communications and resolution of problems to clients outside the labs.
* Bachelor's degree in Medical Laboratory or Life Sciences required. Bachelor's degree preferred.
* Registration ASCP Registered preferred., and Certificate 1 NCA Certification preferred., and MLS (ASCP)
* 3-5 years related work experience required.
* Experience with computer systems required, including web based applications and some Microsoft Office applications which may include Outlook, Word, Excel, PowerPoint or Access.
* Leadership experience.
* Decision Making: Ability to make decisions that are guided by precedents, policies and objectives. Regularly makes decisions and recommendations on issues affecting a department or functional area.
* Problem Solving: Ability to address problems that are highly varied, complex and often non-recurring, requiring staff input, innovative, creative, and Lean diagnostic techniques to resolve issues.
* Independence of Action: Ability to set goals and determines how to accomplish defined results with some guidelines. Manager/Director provides broad guidance and overall direction.
* WRITTEN COMMUNICATIONS: Ability to summarize and communicate in English moderately complex information in varied written formats to internal and external customers.
* ORAL COMMUNICATIONS: Ability to comprehend and communicate complex verbal information in English to medical center staff, patients, families and external customers.
* KNOWLEDGE: Ability to demonstrate in-depth knowledge of concepts, practices and policies with the ability to use them in complex varied situations.
* TEAM WORK: Ability to act as a team leader for small projects or work groups, creating a collaborative and respectful team environment and improving workflows. Results may impact the operations of one or more departments.
* CUSTOMER SERVICE: Ability to provide a high level of customer service and staff training to meet customer service standards and expectations for the assigned unit(s). Resolves service issues in the assigned unit(s) in a timely and respectful manner.
PHYSICAL NATURE OF THE JOB:
Light work: Exerting up to 20 pounds of force frequently to move objects. Some elements of the job are sedentary, but the employee will be required to stand for periods of time or move through out the hospital campus
The Department of Pathology is integrally involved with the diagnosis of cancer and other major medical conditions through the gross and microscopic examination of tissue samples obtained from surgical procedures and endoscopy (Anatomic Pathology). Our department also provides clinical laboratory services to the hospital as well as consult services in the areas of clinical chemistry, hematopathology, microbiology, and transfusion medicine (Clinical Pathology).
This is a fulltime 40 hours day shift per week position, 8.00am to 4.30pm with rotating weekends and holidays required.
Ideally need someone with STEM CELL LAB EXPERIENCE.
BIDMC is EOE M/F/VET/DISABILITY/GENDER IDENTITY/SEXUAL ORIENTATION
Beth Israel Deaconess Medical Center is an Equal Opportunity Employer. We comply with the laws and regulations set forth in the linked poster:http://www.dol.gov/ofccp/regs/compliance/posters/pdf/eeopost.pdf