Patient Care Assistant-Unit Administrative Assistant - ICU - SICU, Nights
This job is no longer active.
View similar jobs.
POST DATE 9/9/2016
END DATE 10/13/2016
JOB DESCRIPTIONJob Summary
SUMMARY: The Unit Administrative Assistant performs key functions that support the multidisciplinary team in delivering high quality, cost-effective care. As a receptionist, the Unit Administrative Assistant employs effective communication skills in all interactions and promotes good customer relations. Maintains competency requirements for computer medical terminology and other job related functions. Oversees multiple priorities and uses organizational skills to maintain an orderly environment. The Unit Secretary practices in concert with I CARE values of Integrity, Compassion, Accountability, Respect and Excellence.
DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
1. Demonstrates an understanding and commitment to maintaining an environment that assures all customers, all individuals, are treated with dignity and respect. Employee actively participates in making recommendations for improving working relationships in the department/unit.
2. Demonstrates knowledge and appropriate use of the hospital information systems and serves as a resource to physicians, patients, visitors and staff. Demonstrates proficiency in the use and maintenance of clerical equipment, such as computers, facsimile and printers.
3. Maintains and accurately processes and updates unit and patient records, e.g., transcription of physician`s orders, discharge disposition codes, computer data entries, medical records, identifications labels, patients` valuable, etc. Ensures all accommodation codes are accurate when downgraded patients are placed in the unit.
4. Protects patient and family privacy rights and maintains confidentiality of patient records and computer security codes, as well as protects the integrity of privileged information.
5. Coordinates scheduling of tests with the healthcare team and other departments to achieve cost-effective and positive patient outcomes.
6. Receives information from various sources that is assimilated and communicated in an accurate, timely, and effective manner. Communication to promote both efforts is clear, professional and appropriate to the age of the patient served.
7. Report maintenance issues promptly
8. Maintains an orderly environment that facilitates access to supplies, manuals and other resource information. Monitor Inventories on regular basis and orders supplies
9. Demonstrates the components of the I CARE values statement (Integrity, Compassion, Accountability, Respect, and Excellence).
10. Demonstrates Service PRIDE Standards (smiles and makes eye contact; greets each patient and visitor; seeks out patient and visitor contact; displays appropriate body language at all times; takes 5 minutes each day to go above and beyond for one patient or visitor; honors diversity; thanks every customer).
11. Follows all safety rules while on the job. Reports all accidents promptly and corrects minor safety hazards. Communicates with peers and management regarding any hazards identified in the workplace.
12. Performs other duties as assigned, which include assisting with staffing needs across the service line as competencies allow.
EDUCATION REQUIREMENTS: High School Diploma or GED equivalent.
Must have at least 6 months of previous experience as a PCA and/or completion of a clinical rotation within an accredited Nursing Program and/or certification as a Nursing Assistant (CNA).
Must have at least 1 year of unit secretary experience or secretarial/office experience in a medical office that includes computer applications.
CERTIFICATES, LICENSES AND REGISTRATIONS REQUIRED: Current American Heart Association Health care Provider BLS.
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS AND ABILITIES REQUIRED:
* Must pass all competencies and skills testing provided upon hire.
Basic computer knowledge with ability to use Hospital Information Systems and Microsoft Office/basic computer applications.
Ability to multitask and work in a fast paced environment is required.
Must be able to communicate effectively in writing and speaking English, as well as demonstrate interpersonal skills with all levels of the healthcare team, patient families, and guests.
Knowledge of medical terminology preferred.
Majority of the work will be spent standing, bending and kneeling.
There may be overtime in this job, as well as, on occasion due to census fluctuation, may be called off.
100% of interaction will be with patients, co-workers and guests.
May include exposure to hazardous chemicals and blood borne pathogens. Significant potential for exposure to latex.
Adherence to universal precautions is required.
Equal Employment Opportunity
Houston Methodist is an Equal Opportunity Employer.
Equal employment opportunity is a sound and just concept to which Houston Methodist is firmly bound. Houston Methodist will not engage in discrimination against or harassment of any person employed or seeking employment with Houston Methodist on the basis of race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, age, disability, status as a protected veteran or other characteristics protected by law.
VEVRAA Federal Contractor priority referral Protected Veterans requested.