Patient Care Assistant-Unit Administrative Assistant - Surgery
This job is no longer active.
View similar jobs.
POST DATE 9/16/2016
END DATE 10/8/2016
JOB DESCRIPTIONJob Summary
JOB SUMMARY: To assist in the delivery of patient care and services and/or secretarial duties to defined patient groups and their families under direction of the RN, Manager, Director and Administrator on Call.
DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
1. Provides care, including treatments and procedures, to patients assigned within unit specific defined limits.
2. Reports observations, conditions and problems of patients to the licensed nurse.
3. Records care administered according to established procedures.
4. Demonstrates knowledge and appropriate use of the hospital systems to include clinical equipment and serves as a resource to physicians, patients, visitors, and staff.
5. Maintains and accurately processes and updates unit and patient records, e.g., transcription of physician orders, discharge disposition codes, computer data entries, medical records, identification labels, patients` valuable, etc. Ensures confidentiality.
6. Coordinates scheduling of tests with the healthcare team and other departments to achieve cost-effective and positive patient outcomes.
7. Inventories, monitors and orders supplies to maintain par levels.
8. Organizes the work flow, problem-solves, and manages multiple ongoing priorities with minimal supervision.
9. Maintains an orderly environment that facilitates access to supplies, manuals, and other resource information.
10. Follows channels of communication for effective problem solving.
11. Participates as team player.
12. Demonstrates the components of the I CARE Values statement (Integrity, Compassion, Accountability, Respect, and Excellence).
13. Demonstrates ServicePride standards (smiles and makes eye contact: greets each patient and visitor: seeks out patient and visitor contact: displays appropriate body language at all times: takes 5 minutes each day to go above and beyond for one patient or visitor: honors diversity: thanks every customer).
14. Follows all safety rules while on the job. Reports all accidents promptly and corrects minor safety hazards. Communications with peers and management regarding any hazards identified in the workplace.
15. Performs other duties as assigned.
High School Diploma or GED equivalent.
Must have at least 6 months of previous experience as a PCA and/or successful completion of Nursing Assistant program (certification as CNA) and/or completion of Clinical rotation within an accredited Nursing program in addition to at least 1 year of unit secretary experience or secretarial/office experience in a medical office that includes computer applications. Medical terminology preferred. CPR required.
CERTIFICATES, LICENSES AND REGISTRATIONS REQUIRED:
Current American Heart Association CPR required
SPECIAL KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS AND ABILITIES REQUIRED
* Must pass all competencies and skills testing provided upon hire.
* Basic computer knowledge with ability to use Hospital Information Systems and Microsoft Office/basic computer applications.
* Ability to multitask and work in a fast paced environment is required.
* Must be able to communicate effectively in writing and speaking English, as well as demonstrate interpersonal skills with all levels of the healthcare team, patient families, and guests.
* Knowledge of medical terminology preferred.
* Majority of the work will be spent standing, bending and kneeling.
* There may be overtime in this job, as well as, on occasion due to census fluctuation, may be called off.
* 100% of interaction will be with patients, co-workers and guests.
* May include exposure to hazardous chemicals and blood borne pathogens. Significant potential for exposure to latex.
* Adherence to universal precautions is required.
Equal Employment Opportunity
Houston Methodist is an Equal Opportunity Employer.
Equal employment opportunity is a sound and just concept to which Houston Methodist is firmly bound. Houston Methodist will not engage in discrimination against or harassment of any person employed or seeking employment with Houston Methodist on the basis of race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, age, disability, status as a protected veteran or other characteristics protected by law.
VEVRAA Federal Contractor priority referral Protected Veterans requested.