Patient Care Associate II
This job is no longer active.
View similar jobs.
POST DATE 9/17/2016
END DATE 10/26/2016
JOB DESCRIPTIONJob Summary
The PCA is an experienced Nursing Assistant who has demonstrated proficiency and competencies to fully function as a PCA in an acute care hospital setting. Works in partnership with licensed personnel to support the delivery of care in an environment that promotes caring and healing. Demonstrates knowledge and skills necessary to communicate appropriately and carry out delegated nursing assistant level tasks for assigned patient populations, under the supervision of a licensed nurse. Participates in shared governance. Practices Patient and Family Centered Care in concert with The Methodist Hospital System s values of Integrity, Compassion, Accountability, Respect and Excellence standards.
PATIENT AGE GROUP SERVED
Note: define for the unit assigned
DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
1. Performs non-nursing patient care activities of daily living (ADL s) within unit specific defined limits and job scope, such as assistance with patient elimination, hygiene, comfort, safety, nutrition, and progress activity.
2. Performs and documents, where applicable, care administered, diagnostic measurements, treatments and procedures as determined by skills training and validation in accordance with established policies and procedures. Reports observations, conditions and problems of patients to licensed personnel to achieve desired patient outcomes.
3. Performs one or more of the following as appropriate for assigned unit/patient population: IV and Foley catheter removal, phlebotomy/lab draws, EKG s, wound/care/dressing changes, bladder skills, etc. within the scope of a Nursing Assistant job under the supervision of licensed personnel.
4. Responds to the Nurse Call System, contacting nursing personnel as appropriate, and follows through with meeting patient needs.
5. Assists with maintaining and cleaning of equipment and supplies as established on assigned unit. Assists with positioning and transporting of patients.
6. Seeks guidance and validation of knowledge base, skill level and decision making as necessary, especially in areas of question, from preceptor and assigned licensed personnel.
7. Organizes the work flow, problem-solves and manages multiple ongoing priorities, with minimal supervision. Participates as team player.
8. Provides for the privacy of patients and families and keeping the safety of the patient in mind.
9. Assumes responsibility for growth and development by participating in in-service programs and continuing education. Completes required continuous training and education, including department specific requirements.
10. Demonstrates the components of the I CARE Values statement (Integrity, Compassion, Accountability, Respect, and Excellence). Demonstrates Relationship-Centered Care standards (smiles and makes eye contact, greets each patient and visitor, seeks out patient and visitor contact, displays appropriate body language, takes 5 minutes each day to go above and beyond for at least one patient or visitor, honors diversity, thanks every customer.
11. Follows all safety rules while on the job. Reports all accidents promptly and corrects minor safety hazards. Communications with peers and management regarding any hazards identified in the workplace.
12. Performs other duties as assigned, which include assisting with staffing needs across the service line as competencies allow.
High School Diploma, GED or equivalent required
Completion of PCA Orientation and assigned classes post start
And for TMH only
If PCA experience is outside of TMHS, completion of TMH PCA Residency
If certified (CNA or MA), then 6 months acute care hospital Nursing Assistant experience,
If not certified, then 18 months acute care hospital Nursing Assistant experience,
12 months TMHS PCA experience
Nursing students who have completed first clinical rotation.
CERTIFICATES, LICENSES AND REGISTRATIONS REQUIRED
Current BLS Certification Required
(Must be American Heart Association BCLS "Healthcare Provider")
Certification as Nursing Assistant or Medical Assistant depending on the experience requirements as noted above,
Crisis Prevention Intervention certification within 6 months from hire.
SPECIAL KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS AND ABILITIES REQUIRED
Evidence of required competencies for unit assigned
Must be able to write and speak effectively in English.
Computer knowledge and ability to use Hospital Information Systems and Office software
Medical terminology preferred.
Must demonstrate interpersonal skills with all levels of healthcare team.
Demonstrates initiative, flexibility and positive interpersonal skills with all levels of the health care team.
Please see activity check list.
Patient care units, and invasive procedure areas.
May include exposure to hazardous chemicals and blood borne pathogens. Significant potential for exposure to latex. Adherence to universal precautions is required.
Extended periods of standing and walking are required.
Able to flex hours and work days to meet need related to unanticipated acuity, volume changes and/or problems.
Equal Employment Opportunity
Houston Methodist is an Equal Opportunity Employer.
Equal employment opportunity is a sound and just concept to which Houston Methodist is firmly bound. Houston Methodist will not engage in discrimination against or harassment of any person employed or seeking employment with Houston Methodist on the basis of race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, age, disability, status as a protected veteran or other characteristics protected by law.
VEVRAA Federal Contractor priority referral Protected Veterans requested.