Patient Financial Counselor 9/2/2016
Dana-Farber Cancer Institute
JOB DESCRIPTIONAPPLY OVERVIEW
Located in Boston and the surrounding communities, Dana-Farber Cancer Institute brings together world renowned clinicians, innovative researchers and dedicated professionals, allies in the common mission of conquering cancer, HIV/AIDS and related diseases. Combining extremely talented people with the best technologies in a genuinely positive environment, we provide compassionate and comprehensive care to patients of all ages; we conduct research that advances treatment; we educate tomorrow's physician/researchers; we reach out to underserved members of our community; and we work with amazing partners, including other Harvard Medical School-affiliated hospitals.
The Patient Financial Counselor reports directly to the Supervisor of Access Management and is responsible for promptly assisting patients obtain financial clearance to access service at the Dana-Farber Cancer Institute and its partnering facilities, in advance of their scheduled visit. They also assist with insurance coverage issues, providing clear and accurate financial information/options, preparing self pay estimates, collecting deposits/payments and creating payment arrangements related to cancer care at the Dana-Farber Cancer Institute, Brigham and Women's Hospital, and Children's Hospital.
* Interviews patients to obtain accurate demographic and financial information from self-pay and high risk patients. Enters information on the Hospital Information System.
* Verifies insurance eligibility and benefits utilizing real-time automated tools, payer websites and/or calls insurance carriers as necessary.
* Contacts insurance carriers to request authorization and/or out of network referrals for high risk patients to receive services at Dana Farber Cancer and our partnering facilities, if applicable.
* Complies and submits documentation from the study team, MD and/or other providers, requested by the insurance carrier, to support the authorization/out of network referral request.
* Effectively communicates the financial clearance status with the study team, MD, other providers and the patient. Assists patients/providers appeal denied services, coordinates peer to peer conferences.
* Documents all patient account correspondence in the appropriate note field, designated forms, or databases; This includes all phone calls incoming and outgoing, referral number data, and any other account knowledge that becomes available.
* Prepares self pay estimates based on the treatment plan, collects deposits, co-pays, and deductibles from self-pay or other high-risk patients.
* Accurately and courteously explains Advanced Beneficiary Notices/Waivers and obtains patients signature and collects any required deposit/payment.
* Accurately and courteously explains policies regarding financial assistance programs and assist patients/families in the completion of applications
* Completes assigned work queues, projects, and other duties as directed
* High school Diploma/GED required, Associates degree or relevant post-secondary education highly preferred. Prior hospital/physician office registration/billing experience required; minimum of 2 years of financial experience in a hospital or ambulatory setting required. Knowledge of managed care policies and medical terminology preferred. Working knowledge of GE Centricity or other hospital/professional services billing systems. Strong understanding of Microsoft Office product suite
* Excellent customer service and communication skills, both written and verbal. Self starter with strong team player and leadership abilities. Strong analytical problem solving skills and mathematical/accounting skills.
* Ability to prioritize and meet pre-determined deadlines. Advanced technical skills, as appropriate.
Dana-Farber Cancer Institute is an equal opportunity employer and affirms the right of every qualified applicant to receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, gender identity or expression, national origin, sexual orientation, genetic information, disability, age, ancestry, military service, protected veteran status, or other groups as protected by law.