Patient Serv. Coord. III
This job is no longer active.
View similar jobs.
POST DATE 8/27/2016
END DATE 12/3/2016
Massachusetts General Hospital(MGH)
JOB DESCRIPTIONGENERAL SUMMARY/ OVERVIEW STATEMENT:
Under general supervision and direction from the Clinical Faculty and the Administrative Manager in the Department of Neurosurgery and Neurosurgical Oncology, the Patient Service Coordinator III will perform the responsibilities as outlined below for neurosurgery staff in the Stephen E. & Catherine Pappas Center for Neuro-Oncology. The PSCIII will support all aspects of physician practice for clinical care management, including support for academic activities. Facilitates and schedules all patient appointments, including surgical and ancillary tests, obtaining referrals, authorizations and pre-certifications as needed. In addition to analyzing office systems, work flow, referral pattern enhancement, this position involves responsibility for helping with the process enhancement of the Neurosurgical practice in all its activities. Requires discretion and judgement to organize priorities, complete tasks and handle confidential patient information.
PRINCIPAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
CLINICAL PRACTICE SUPPORT:
* Manages high volume phone lines in a professional and courteous manner.
* Schedules patient office appointments, using EPIC Cadence scheduling system.
* Orders/coordinates/obtains outside films, as well as any additional clinical information needed to insure efficiency and accuracy of consultations and second opinion visits.
* Sends out confirmation/reminder letters in advance of appointments and surgeries.
* Answers patient/family questions regarding appointments, surgical procedures, and pre-operative instructions as appropriate.
* Reviews patient insurance and referrals in EPIC when scheduling visits. Tracks referrals and ensures insurance information is obtained and verified prior to appointment.
* Checks-out patients as they exit office, schedules follow-up appointments, surgical procedures as appropriate.
* Schedule patient surgery using EPIC system, which may requires the coordination of other services such as Anesthesiology. Optimize and balance procedure scheduling with time allotted
* Obtains insurance pre-authorizations and pre-certifications for tests and treatments.
* Provides reassurance to patients and families regarding treatment course and follow-up communication contact.
* Manage preparation of surgical cases: confirm preoperative testing, compile necessary paperwork, confirm date and time of procedure.
* Works with the Admitting Department and International Office to coordinate appointments of self-pay and international patients. Requests financial quotes for pending inpatient or outpatient services and relates information to patients when necessary.
* Coordinates appointments with MGH interpreters as necessary.
* Photocopies and files patient-related paperwork within clinically-defined medical records in an accurate and timely manner.
* Insures and protect patient confidentiality, works within HIPAA-compliant procedures.
* Supports Mass Generals philanthropic efforts by asking patients to sign the HIPAA release to enable contact by the Development Department. Professionally answers questions and refers issues to either Administrative Director or Development staff. Utilizes tact and diplomacy.
COMPUTER APPLICATION REQUIREMENTS:
* Epic Cadence Front Desk application: Schedules patient appointments, utilizes resource scheduling techniques to link providers and procedure rooms.
* Epic Super User access: Attains Super User status to freeze, block, and open new scheduling slots. Builds and edits master and daily schedules of providers.
* Epic Deposit Tool application: As necessary in certain practice sites posts co-payments, posts patient payments, and processes credit cards. May include end-of-day Cash Drawer procedures.
* Epic system: Prepares clinical notes for physicians in preparation for patient appointments. Searches for recent pertinent laboratory, radiology, and pathology reports.
* Using Life Image (MGH imaging sharing system): Load radiology discs in preparation for patient appointment.
* Epic Media Manager Document Imaging (Scanning) system: Use scanners to electronically scan in outside laboratory, radiology, and pathology reports. Electronically files scanned reports into correct patient records.
* Epic PPE (Patient Pre-operative Evaluation): Schedules pre-operative testing appointment for surgical patients.
* Epic Snapboard (Operating Room) system: Uses online OR booking system to electronically communicate with OR Scheduler and reserve prime time OR slots for surgical procedures.
* Book radiology appointments via Epic for a variety of imaging tests including standard x-ray, CT, MRI, ultrasound and nuclear medicine scans. Includes all MGH imaging sites.
* Epic Work queue (Referral management and requests): Process and schedule patient appointments and/or assign request to another hospital service for appointments
* Patient Gateway system: Use Patient Gateway to communicate with patients and ascertain their need for appointments and prescriptions. Follow-through with appropriate scheduling and communication to patient.
* Microsoft Office applications: as necessary use Outlook, Word, Excel, and PowerPoint to support physician practice and academic presentations or work.
* Analyzes office systems and work flow and implements solutions to problems, as well as provide functional guidance to the neurosurgery support team.
* Creates procedure and process manuals and/or tutorials.
* Maintains physicians meeting calendar, managing physicians academic appointments and academic/professional schedule.
* Promptly arranges meetings (including conference calls) at the institutional, regional, and national levels.
* Handles scheduling, travel arrangements, and reimbursements.
* Provide assistance with presentations and manuscripts as needed.
* Retrieves screens and triages physicians mail.
* Answers telephones, arranges for forwarding and removal of telephones to answering service, places/returns telephone calls for physician as requested.
* Updates and distributes physician Curriculum Vitae as needed using proper Harvard formatting.
* Performs photocopying, faxing, filing as requested.
* Order and track special purchase items
* Coordinates, types, proofreads and edits letters, memos, meeting minutes, reports, manuscripts, correspondence, grant proposals and protocols at the highest level of proficiency.
* Provide assistance with grant submissions and renewals.
* Provide assistance in the research and compilation of manuscripts and abstracts.
* Maintains administrative calendars and makes all travel and meeting arrangements for Neurosurgical Oncology clinical faculty.
TEAMWORK AND COLLABORATION:
* Cross-covers for other staff members for breaks, lunches, vacations, etc. and during variations in work flow as needed.
* Temporarily provides coverage and support to physicians during unexpected staff vacancies and new practice start-ups. May require simultaneously rendering support to multiple physicians.
* Diplomatically handles sensitive and confidential issues among staff, involves department management as necessary.
* Communicates both internally and externally to efficiently provide follow-up appointments and referral to multidisciplinary practices.
* Communicates with physicians and nurse practitioners regarding patient flow issues and develops and implements improvement plans.
* Trains and orients new staff to ensure best practices and compliance with internal and MGH policies and procedures.
* Works with departmental manager to implement new technology, participate in meetings and process improvement projects, and assist in resident education and research.