Patient Services Coordinator I
This job is no longer active.
View similar jobs.
POST DATE 9/15/2016
END DATE 11/22/2016
Massachusetts General Hospital(MGH)
JOB DESCRIPTIONAPPLY GENERAL SUMMARY/ OVERVIEW STATEMENT:
His / her primary role is to assure efficient patient flow through the practice, provide primary administrative support to the practice and its staff, responsible for demographic and financial verification and clearance for each patient encounter, maintains a neat, clean, and safe patient care areas, and to promote patient satisfaction by interacting with patients in a professional, friendly manner consistent with their needs. Working under the supervision of the Administrative Manager.
PRINCIPAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
1. Has the primary responsibility for scheduling and facilitating patient appointments.
2. Performs all check-in and check-out functions as outlined by the MGPO and BWPO Front Desk Standards of Operations.
3. Assures complete and documented financial information for each patient encounter and appropriately interfaces with central registration.
4. Answers incoming telephone calls, takes messages and assists patients and families with problem resolution both in-person and over the telephone.
5. Demonstrates and requires strong customer service, communication and organizational skills.
6. Collects and processes co-payments as applicable.
7. Responsible for the scheduling of ancillary service appointments (i.e. MRI, CT etc.).
8. Responsible for assisting and obtaining appropriate referral information from referral source.
9. Assisting with pre-screening of incoming referrals according to selection criteria.
10. Obtains pre-certification when appropriate for patient services.
11. Acts as liaison with patient accounts as needed.
12. Ability to prioritize and multi-tasks throughout the work day.
13. Responsible for sorting mail, incoming faxes and direct correspondence to appropriate person.
14. Expected to cross-cover for front-desk colleagues.
15. Assists in training and orienting of new staff to front desk policies and procedures according to best practice criteria.
16. Maintains patient confidentiality in compliance with HIPAA guidelines.
17. Able to problem solve emerging patient concerns in an appropriate manner.
18. Review the daily schedule of patients and be certain that all appropriate preparations are in place to facilitate efficient patient flow for the day.
19. Interacts in a professional and cooperative manner with practice and hospital staff.
Strong organizational and problem solving skills
Some knowledge of third party billing
Demonstrates basic knowledge of medical terminology
Ability to maintain confidential medical information
ATTENTION TO DETAIL
1. Able to review data/documents for accuracy and consistency.
2. Increase awareness to prevent errors.
3. Follow procedures closely.
4. Keep records accurate and current.
COLLABORATION & TEAMWORK
1. Exhibits diplomacy and communicates with others in a manner that demonstrates respect, professionalism and a commitment to the team.
2. Offers and seeks assistance to and from coworkers that support the team and ensures that patient needs are not compromised.
3. Provides cross coverage during unexpected and scheduled absences.
4. Participates in department initiatives and contributes to teams success.
5. Acts as a liaison between key departments, providers and coworkers.
6. Assists in mentoring new staff as directed.
CONTINUOUS QUALITY IMPROVEMENT
1. Able to establish personal standards of quality for work.
2. Independently improve the quality of work processes.
3. Identify and apply best practices.
4. Improve the efficiency of our work by eliminating barriers and streamlining work processes.
5. Measure and track our personal performance.
1. Able to build strong working relationships with internal and/or external customers.
2. Anticipate and identify unexpressed customer needs and work to meet those needs.
3. Prioritizes work in alignment with the needs of the patients, family members, caregivers and colleagues.
4. Ability to maintain a high level of professionalism in handling all situations diplomatically and courteously.
FLEXIBILITY AND ACHIEVING CHANGE
1. Able to positively deal with changes and modifications that effect job requirements.
2. Adapt to shifting priorities in response to the needs of our colleagues and customers.
3. Quickly recognize situations where change is needed.
4. Work to clarify situations where information, instructions or objectives are ambiguous.
5. Support overall organizational change.
1. Able to practice active and attentive listening skills to verify understanding.
2. Provides accurate information and clear explanations regarding appointment requirements, instructions and policies and procedures.
3. Adapts communication style to varying customer needs.
4. Respond to differences of opinion constructively.
PROBLEM SOLVING AND ANALYSIS
1. Able to gather appropriate data and diagnose the cause of a problem before taking action.
2. Separate causes from symptoms.
3. Apply lessons learned from others who encountered similar problems or challenges.
4. Anticipate problems and develop contingency plans to deal with them.
5. Develop and evaluate alternative courses of action.
Ambulatory Care Setting
High School degree required
A minimum of 1-2 years in a clinical setting (preferred)
Massachusetts General Hospital is an Equal Opportunity Employer. By embracing diverse skills, perspectives and ideas, we choose to lead. Applications from protected veterans and individuals with disabilities are strongly encouraged.