Patient Services Representative (Ambulatory Call Center, FT, 40 hours)
This job is no longer active.
View similar jobs.
POST DATE 9/15/2016
END DATE 10/8/2016
Boston Medical Center
JOB DESCRIPTIONJOB OPPORTUNITY
PATIENT SERVICES REPRESENTATIVE (AMBULATORY CALL CENTER, FT, 40 HOURS)
JOB ID 3018445 DATE POSTED 09/14/2016 apply now
Boston Medical Center (BMC) is more than a hospital. It s a network of support and care that touches the lives of hundreds of thousands of people in need each year. It is the largest and busiest provider of trauma and emergency services in New England. Emphasizing community-based care, BMC is committed to providing consistently excellent and accessible health services to all and is the largest safety-net hospital in New England. The hospital is also the primary teaching affiliate of the nationally ranked Boston University School of Medicine (BUSM) and a founding partner of Boston HealthNet an integrated health care delivery systems that includes many community health centers. BMC provides a full range of pediatric and adult care services, from primary to family medicine to advanced specialty care.
BMC is also committed to our employees, who are a very important piece to who we are. We pride ourselves in providing equal employment opportunity and non-discrimination for all employees and qualified applicants without regard to a person's race, color, gender, age, religion, national origin, ancestry, disability, veteran status, genetic information, sexual orientation or any characteristic protected under applicable law. BMC will make reasonable accommodations for qualified individuals with known disabilities, in accordance with applicable law.
Job Description Summary
The Patient Service Representative (PSR) will be the first point-of-contact for BMC patients. They are responsible for answering inbound calls, emails and on-line appointments, for various BMC s Practices, including, Primary Care, Medical Specialties, Family Medicine and other Practices within BMC. The PSR will handle all patient inquiries, including, but not limited to scheduling and/or rescheduling appointments, conducting follow up calls with patients, resolving patient questions/concerns regarding medication refills, insurance verifications and other activities to satisfactorily resolve patient requests. They will document patient information in the appropriate hospital systems as required by the Practice Guidelines.
ESSENTIAL RESPONSIBILITIES / DUTIES:
The PSR is an extension of the Practice Staff and works with them to ensure a consistent and high quality experience for BMC patients:
* Communicates with patients, staff and management by using multiple advanced communication tools, including phone call handling telecommunication system (Avaya ACD), emails, faxes and on-line chats and on-line scheduling applications.
* Answers and resolves patient inquires, in a professional, empathetic and patient-centered way, through the use of effective listening, written and verbal communication skills.
* Uses a computerized scheduling system to schedule, cancel or reschedule appointments, the PSR will determine what the right amount of time is required for each patients appointment at the Practice.
* Uses computerized systems to verify and update patient insurance information
* Utilizes established Practice guidelines to ensure patients issues are addressed in a timely manner and when necessary, transfers the call or sends a message to the appropriate person at the Practice for additional consultation.
* Escalates any issues that fall outside of an existing protocol or process to meet the needs of the patient.
* Makes outbound calls to patients to remind them of their appointment or as a follow up to a visit
* Provides accurate and detailed information and updates patient s records, using the various management information systems used at BMC including, but not limited to: Logician, Epic, EWS, SDK and others.
* Identifies opportunities to improve work processes and assists in the implementation of those improvements as part of an overall team effort
* Ability to escalate appropriately any issues that fall outside of an existing protocol or process to meet the needs of the patient population
* Attends training sessions on Customer Service, system enhancements, process improvements and changes in Practice protocols and remains current on new developments in health care.
* Participates in staff meetings and is expected to identify process issues that are obstacles to providing a positive patient experience.
* Assist in training/orientation of new personnel under the direction of a manager/supervisor.
General Duties and Standards
* Adapts to changes in the departmental needs including, but not limited to: offering assistance to other team members and other duties assigned by department supervisor/manager.
* Conforms to hospital standards of performance and conduct, including those pertaining to patient rights and HIPAA and privacy rules, so that the best possible level of service is provided, for each and every patient contact.
* Utilizes hospital s behavioral standards as the basis for decision making and to support the department and the hospital s mission and goals
* Follow established hospital infection control and safety procedures
* Other duties as required.
A minimum of a High School diploma/GED is required. Training as a Medical Assistant, Pharmacy Technician, or other relevant healthcare background, training and/or experience that will be provide the ability to understand and be fluent in medical terminology is also required.
* Must have at least 1-2 years experience working in a medical office or 1-2 years experience as a call center or customer service agent
* Have excellent communications skills (oral and written) and be able to communicate effectively with patients over the phone and in email and other communications
* Have extensive computer experience and be able to work within multiple applications (MS Word, Excel, Outlook, and scheduling/insurance systems) and document work in a professional and efficient manner
* Be familiar with medical terminology and be able explain healthcare issues to patients with empathy and concern
* Have strong interpersonal skills and be able to work well in a team environment
KNOWLEDGE AND SKILLS:
* Be familiar with medical terminology
* Ability to empathize with and coach patients in navigating the healthcare system
* Effective interpersonal skills and able to work with a diverse group of professionals and personalities in a team environment
* Excellent English (multi lingual is a plus) communications skills (oral and written) with the ability to document work completed in a professional efficient manner. Bi or multilingual is a plus
* Experience with standard hospital registration and billing systems or ability to learn such systems is also required
* Basic computer skills and knowledge of Microsoft Office applications (MS Word, Excel & Outlook) and web/internet experience is required