Payroll Tax Accountant (2016245)
This job is no longer active.
View similar jobs.
POST DATE 8/13/2016
END DATE 10/12/2016
Sonoco Products Company
JOB DESCRIPTIONTracking Code
Founded in 1899 on the belief that People Build Businesses, Sonoco is a global provider of a variety of consumer packaging, industrial products, protective packaging, and displays and packaging supply chain services. With annualized combined sales of approximately $5 billion, the Company has more than 21,000 employees working in more than 340 operations in 34 countries, serving some of the world s best known brands in some 85 nations. Sonoco values its people and is committed to giving them every opportunity to use their talent and skills to grow themselves, their careers and our Company. We offer world-class benefits, value people and teamwork, celebrate challenges, reward success, are committed to employee satisfaction and work/life balance, and are recognized worldwide for our commitment to growing future leaders.
The Payroll Tax Accountant is responsible for the timely and accurate reporting and remittance of all payroll withholding taxes to federal and state tax agencies through a 3rd party provider and under the supervision of the payroll manager. This position handles all aspects of payroll tax withholding - the withholding on each employee s check, making proper and timely remittance of taxes, filing returns, to the proper statement of wages and tax withheld on the W2. This individual does all PeopleSoft tax setup.
* Responsible for remitting payroll taxes on an accurate and timely basis for 20+ EINs and 40 states, DC and Puerto Rico. This includes withholding combinations totaling 120+ state and 65+ local returns and deposit schedule of next day, weekly, semiweekly, monthly and quarterly. Makes tax payments of approximately $148,000,000 annually.
* Responsible for filing monthly/quarterly and annual returns for withholding taxes 22 federal 941 s, 120+ state returns, and 65+ local returns. This includes special job incentive returns for SC and KY. Runs magnetic media for returns.
* Responsible for remitting and filing returns for unemployment taxes 20+ 940 s and 120+ state returns.
* Responsible for the timely, accurate preparation, and filing of W-2s. Runs EVS file to verify social security numbers, run edits, etc.Ability to research and interpret tax law and regulations and wage and hours laws at the federal, state and local levels.
* Tax set up for any new business/company/acquisition. Acquires new state and local account numbers from taxing authorities, does payroll system maintenance, and validates general ledger accounts.
* Reconcile general ledger accounts relating to tax withholding. Assist with year-end closing.
* Ensure that the payroll system has all the current federal/state/local tax rates.
* Handle all correspondence with governmental agencies relating to withholding tax. Resolve any issues with SSA, IRS, state or local agencies.
* Perform reconciliation for all payrolls to payments, returns, and W-2s between the payroll system, tax software, and general ledger. Perform edits to ensure proper withholding on the employee level.
* Performs control checks and edits to ensure the proper withholding and reporting of taxes and to identify any control weaknesses. Initiates corrective action for system edit and error messages.
* Make recommendations for process and system improvements.
* Other duties as assigned.
* Bachelors degree (Accounting, Finance or Business Administration) required
* 2+ years experience in payroll or related payroll/tax experience
* Familiar with Oracle/PeopleSoft HR and/or Workday
* Good technical aptitude and ability to grasp a general knowledge of multiple disciplines and technologies
* Strong analytical capabilities
* Strong interpersonal skills
* Ability to effectively organize and structure activities
* Excellent communication skills, both written and oral
Hartsville, South Carolina, United States