Pharmacy Technician Cancer Center-40hrs Days-TEMPORARY 9month assignment
This job is no longer active.
View similar jobs.
POST DATE 9/14/2016
END DATE 11/3/2016
JOB DESCRIPTIONJOB SUMMARY:
Supports the mission of the Pharmacy department by ensuring that the right
patient receives the right medications in a safe and timely manner under the
direct supervision of a Pharmacist. Develops a full understanding of the drug
distribution system and demonstrates competency in carrying out all duties
associated with delivering medications to the patient care area's. Uses
automated medication dispensing system, electronic computer software and prepares IV admixtures including Chemotherapy.
* Inventories and restocks supplies on shelves in immediate fill area on a daily basis.
* Prepares extemporaneous dosage forms not available from commercial sources.
* Assists IV Pharmacist in preparing IV Admixtures.
* Assembles and prepares ingredients to manufacture IV Admixtures, small and large volume parenterals, irrigation solutions, skin tests, and other sterile dosage forms.
* Assembles and prepares ingredients to manufacture Total Parenteral Nutrition, including the aseptic transfer of amino acids to dextrose and the aseptic addition of electrolytes, trace elements, vitamins, and medications.
* Assembles and prepares chemotherapeutic agents including the aseptic transfer of chemotherapy agents to large volume parenterals using aseptic technique to assure sterility and negative pressure technique to assure no drug contact.
* Fills and delivers medications requested by nursing units and as needed for automated medication dispensing machine after complete check by a registered pharmacist.
* Performs good customer service skills via telephone or in person at Cancer Center Pharmacy and while rounding on patient care area's.
* Performs monthly stock checks for expired medications.
* Performs and records daily temperature checks of nursing unit refrigerators.
* Assembles and prepares medications for unit dose prepackaging.
* Performs monthly Cancer Center inspections.
* Uses electronic health information system to charge/credit/view sensitive patient data.
* Adheres to HIPAA regulations regarding confidentiality and patient privacy.
* High School diploma required, training as a Hospital Pharmacy Technician
* strongly preferred.
* Familiarity with medical/drug terminology and
* Demonstrated ability to walk and stand 70% of the time and to lift up to 35 pounds. Ability to appropriately handle controlled substances.
* Must meet eligibility requirements for Massachusetts registration as a Pharmacy Technician.
* All Technicians must become registered by the state of Massachusetts before 1000 hours of employment.
* Excellent communication and computer skills
Newton-Wellesley Hospital will provide equal employment opportunities to all applicants and employees without regard to race, color, religion, gender age, national origin, disability, marital status, genetic information, veteran or active military status, gender identity or expression, or sexual orientation.