Phlebotomist II- Pre Admit Testing (Days)
This job is no longer active.
View similar jobs.
POST DATE 9/9/2016
END DATE 10/14/2016
JOB DESCRIPTIONJob Summary
**FULL-TIME / DAYS**
Performs venipuncture, capillary, and coagulation time procedures on neonatal, pediatric, adolescent, adult and geriatric patients. Maintains competency of techniques and principles required to perform quality phlebotomy services. . Accurately process and orders patient samples in Laboratory Information System. Solves problems concerning the day-to-day technical operation of the section. Responsible for training new employees and Medical Technology students.
DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
1. Uses programs in the Laboratory Information System (LIS) to accurately order tests, cancel tests, footnote comments, investigate the status of test requests, register patients, access orders in Outpatient Manager, and perform other data entry duties as needed. Accesses and utilizes the Imaging system and Hospital Information System (HIS) for requisition verification and Laboratory results.
2. Performs phlebotomy, delivers blood specimens, and completes appropriate documentation on all patients. Accurately identifies patients for ECG and phlebotomy procedures. Obtains correct specimens and labels them appropriately. Responds promptly when any request for service is received. Successfully performs phlebotomy on mastectomy patients without a tourniquet. Pages, greets and escorts the patients to draw rooms for testing.
3. Instructs and trains Medical Technology students as needed in phlebotomy. Evaluates trainee performance and completes appropriate documentation. Responsible for annual comptentency for staff Phlebotomists. Trains PCA II`s and nurses for the clinical portion of Phlebotomy training.
4. Resolves technical problems concerning specimen collection and phlebotomy procedures. Reconciles recollects and order errors with the physician office and contacts patients for return visit. Completes all necessary documentation and informs supervisory personnel. Is responsible for daily Workload pending and workload recording.
5. Responsible for the supply inventory of the OP Lab using PMM. Maintains a clean and organized stock room. Responsible for all off-site supplies, clinic supply distribution and file distribution to the warehouse.
6. Performs I-STAT Creati9 POC test. Verifies and calls Creati9 results. . Performs ECGs. Transmits STAT ECG tracings to Cardiology for interpretation through Trace Master.
7. Demonstrates knowledge of different specimen collection containers and media to assist in the distribution of supplies to patients, physician offices, nursing units and patient care areas. Maintains a clean, organized and well-stocked work area.
8. Demonstrates the componets of the I CARE values statement (Integrity, Compassion, Accountability, Respect, and Excellence) and complies with Business Practices standards for performance.
9. Demonstrates Service PRIDE standards. Demonstrates excellent customer service skills by communicating clearly and professionally with all patients, nurses, physicians, visitors, and coworkers in a courteous, friendly, and helpful manner.
10. Follows all safety rules while on the job. Reports accidents promptly and corrects minor safety hazards.
11. Performs other job-related duties as assigned. Utilized spare time to seek out and complete extra tasks.
EDUCATION REQUIREMENTS High School Diploma or GED equivalent.
EXPERIENCE REQUIREMENTS 3 years of previous phlebotomy experience required. Must have a satisfactory score on the math skills test administered by Methodist Hospital Human Resources.
CERTIFICATES, LICENSES AND REGISTRATIONS REQUIRED None Required. American Society of Phlebotomy Tech certification (ASPT) preferred.
SPECIAL KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS AND ABILITIES REQUIRED 1. Must exhibit excellent customer service skills. 2. Ability to build and sustain interpersonal relationships. 3. Ability to clearly and effectively communicate verbally with staff. 4. Must meet the requirements on the competency checklist for the assigned area.
Equal Employment Opportunity
Houston Methodist is an Equal Opportunity Employer.
Equal employment opportunity is a sound and just concept to which Houston Methodist is firmly bound. Houston Methodist will not engage in discrimination against or harassment of any person employed or seeking employment with Houston Methodist on the basis of race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, age, disability, status as a protected veteran or other characteristics protected by law.
VEVRAA Federal Contractor priority referral Protected Veterans requested.