Phlebotomist - Inpatient
This job is no longer active.
View similar jobs.
POST DATE 9/17/2016
END DATE 10/11/2016
Wheat Ridge, CO
JOB DESCRIPTIONThank you for your interest in our Phlebotomist position.
This is a PRN status, as a backup to cover vacation and sick times.
The schedule is 1 to 2 to 3 shifts a week, sometimes 4 hr shifts, sometimes 8 hr shifts. This is not a full time position. The candidate must be flexible to work various shifts from 4am-8am, 4am-130pm, day shifts, evening shifts to 11pm, and some overnights, and weekends. An open schedule is key to picking up hours. Full time and Part time positions do come available, and PRN employees are the first to be considered.
The phlebotomy department at Lutheran Medical Center works as a team in fast paced, detail oriented and patient driven hospital environment.
Phlebotomists perform venipuncture on a wide variety of patient populations as well as performing specimen processing and referral testing duties.
Phlebotomists respond to all Code Blues, Cardiac Alerts, Stroke Alerts, Traumas, and Code Whites.
Morning run starts at 4am and usually lasts until 7am which involves, on average, 100 draws in a three hour period, then finishing 8am or another run starting at 8am until 1230pm.
The day shift starts at 4am until 1300.
The evening shift is from 1200 until 2130
The night shift is from 2100 until 6am.
We look forward to reviewing your application!
Lutheran Medical Center is part of SCL Health, a faith-based, nonprofit health care organization.
Interested in making a difference? Then check us out. Our rich heritage and mission, and focus on health care delivery that values person-centered care, excellence and accountability are a winning combination as we bring health and hope to our patients.
* Wheat Ridge, CO (estab. 1905)
* Community-based, acute care hospital, Level III Trauma Center
* 2,100 associates, 900 physicians, 600 volunteers
* 338 beds
SERVICES & EXPERTISE
* 5-Star Birthing Center
* Breast Care Center (NAPBC accredited)
* Bridges Integrative Health & Wellness
* Comprehensive Cancer Center
* Heart & Neurovascular
* Primary Stroke Center
* Robotic Surgery
* Senior ER, Behavioral Health & Surgery
* Sleep Center
* Spine Center
* Women & Family Center
Kudos: Lutheran is recognized for quality, safety & patient experience by Truven, the Joint Commission & more!
PRN STATUS- WORK DIFFERENT DAYS, SHIFTS, TO COVER VACATIONS AND OTHER GAPS IN THE SCHEDULE. MUST BE FLEXIBLE TO WORK 4AM-8AM, 4AM-130PM, DAY SHIFTS, EVENING SHIFTS TO 11PM, SHIFTS ON WEEKENDS, AND SOME NIGHTS IF AVAILABLE. FLEXIBILITY IS KEY TO PICKING UP HOURS. PT AND FT STATUS POSITIONS DO OPEN, AND WE PROMOTE FROM WITHIN.
Works under close supervision to obtain blood samples used in diagnostic testing.
* Verifies patients identification and obtains specimens of patient blood for diagnostic testing by means of venipuncture or skin puncture methodology utilizing a syringe, lancet or other approved technique.
* Calms and reassures patients who are anxious or apprehensive about having blood specimen withdrawn, explains to patient why specimen is needed in order to elicit cooperation.
* Prepares blood samples obtained for diagnostic testing in laboratory by adding type and quantity of preservative or anti-coagulant specified for test procedures requested.
* Fixes blood specimen on glass slide by utilizing edge of another glass slide to smear a drop of blood across its surface for the purpose of microscopic examination by other personnel.
* Carries or otherwise forwards all blood specimens drawn to appropriate laboratory for analysis.
* Receives, accessions, and processes patient specimens (including centrifuging, making primary inoculations of media, preparing and staining of smears and/or plates, and operating semi and fully automated equipment).
* Records and transcribes laboratory test results from lab reports and worksheets into a permanent log. Routes laboratory reports to patients ward, as needed.
* Performs other duties as assigned.
The information above is for summary purposes, and is not intended to be a comprehensive list of essential functions.
* High School diploma or equivalent, required
* Phlebotomy training, required
* Six months of experience in blood-drawing techniques, preferred
* Excellent communication and interpersonal skills, required
* One (1) year of experience in a hospital setting, preferred