Physician Assistant - Adult Cardio Thoracic Surgery 8/31/2016
UT Soutwestern University Medical Center
JOB DESCRIPTIONAPPLY Full/Part Time/PRN: Full-Time
This position is security-sensitive and subject to Texas Education Code 51.215, which authorizes UT Southwestern to obtain criminal history record information
EXPERIENCE AND EDUCATION
Graduate of an ARC-PA accredited Physician Assistant Program.
Must be certified by the National Commission on Certification of Physician Assistants.
Texas Physician Assistant License - temporary acceptable for new graduates until permanent license is issued upon receipt of passing Physician Assistant National Certifying Examination Scores (within one year of hire).
Basic Life Support certified.
Assists primary care physician in diagnostic and therapeutic management of patients by performing variety of medical or surgical tasks.
Obtains complete medical history data from patients.
Performs physical examinations to obtain physical data.
Organizes and present historical and physical data, together with evaluations and recommendations, to physician in such way as to permit him/her to visualize medical problem and determine appropriate diagnostic or therapeutic procedures.
Executes such diagnostic and therapeutic procedures as physician may assign.
Provides follow-up and health maintenance care to patients in accordance with protocols established by physician.
Instructs and counsels patients with respect to such subjects as prenatal and post partum care, physical activity, rehabilitation, family planning, infant and child care, diets, medications, etc.
Maintains complete and accurate records of contacts with patients whether in person or by telephone.
Supervises and instructs medical technicians assigned to unit.
Duties performed may include one or more of the following core functions: a) Directly interacting with or caring for patients; b) Directly interacting with or caring for human-subjects research participants; c) Regularly maintaining, modifying, releasing or similarly affecting patient records (including patient financial records); or d) Regularly maintaining, modifying, releasing or similarly affecting human-subjects research records.
Performs other duties as assigned.
**Other Duties: Performs other duties as assigned.
Position will support the In patient Thoracic Surgical Service at Clements University Hospital and responsibilities will include:
* Participating in daily rounds, writing of inpatient notes, reviewing of X-rays and reports, and medication management.
* Ordering appropriate laboratory and diagnostic tests and reviews results.
* Assessing patients and writes notes per communicated standards (ICU and floor).
* Communication with the Transfer Nurse Team and Referring Entity; ensures a seamless and well communicated/informed transfer, as well as all needed records/tissues/images are transferred with the patient. Obtain all of the referring entities names to communicate with them after the transfer.
* Developing patient care plans and performs patient education as well as admitting and discharge planning and management.
* Patient management may include interpretation of blood gas, pulling of chest tubes, and ventilator changes.
* On OR days, visits families, enters OR to get updates and brings information to nursing staff and family. Receives patients from OR and writes post op orders, follows blood gasses and labs, manages patients.
* Performing new consults for the thoracic service.
* Conducting follow-up communication on pre-op and post-op patients.
* May provide assistance in the operating room.
* May be cross-trained to provide back-up coverage in the ambulatory clinic.
Master's degree in Physican Assistant Studies Required
To the extent provided by applicable law, no person shall be excluded from participation in, denied the benefits of, or be subject to discrimination under any program or activity sponsored or conducted by The University of Texas System or any of its component institutions, on the basis of race, color, national origin, religion, sex, sexual orientation, age, veteran status, or disability..