Physician Assistant - Adult Cardio Thoracic Surgery- Out Patient Setting
This job is no longer active.
View similar jobs.
POST DATE 8/31/2016
END DATE 12/17/2016
UT Southwestern Medical Center
JOB DESCRIPTIONFull/Part Time/PRN: Full-Time
This position is security-sensitive and subject to Texas Education Code 51.215, which authorizes UT Southwestern to obtain criminal history record information
EXPERIENCE AND EDUCATION
Graduate of an ARC-PA accredited Physician Assistant Program.
Must be certified by the National Commission on Certification of Physician Assistants.
Texas Physician Assistant License - temporary acceptable for new graduates until permanent license is issued upon receipt of passing Physician Assistant National Certifying Examination Scores (within one year of hire).
Basic Life Support certified.
Assists primary care physician in diagnostic and therapeutic management of patients by performing variety of medical or surgical tasks.
Obtains complete medical history data from patients.
Performs physical examinations to obtain physical data.
Organizes and present historical and physical data, together with evaluations and recommendations, to physician in such way as to permit him/her to visualize medical problem and determine appropriate diagnostic or therapeutic procedures.
Executes such diagnostic and therapeutic procedures as physician may assign.
Provides follow-up and health maintenance care to patients in accordance with protocols established by physician.
Instructs and counsels patients with respect to such subjects as prenatal and post partum care, physical activity, rehabilitation, family planning, infant and child care, diets, medications, etc.
Maintains complete and accurate records of contacts with patients whether in person or by telephone.
Supervises and instructs medical technicians assigned to unit.
Duties performed may include one or more of the following core functions: a) Directly interacting with or caring for patients; b) Directly interacting with or caring for human-subjects research participants; c) Regularly maintaining, modifying, releasing or similarly affecting patient records (including patient financial records); or d) Regularly maintaining, modifying, releasing or similarly affecting human-subjects research records.
Performs other duties as assigned.
**Other Duties: Performs other duties as assigned.
Position will support thoracic surgery ambulatory clinic and responsibilities will include:
* Ensuring effective management of clinic flow and that patients are seen in a timely and efficient manner.
* Reviewing patient records prior to clinic appointment to ensure all outside records and test results necessary for clinical decision-making are available. Makes calls to the referring entities, patients and/or their families to obtain further information to facilitate an efficient clinic visit.
* Ordering appropriate laboratory and diagnostic tests and reviews results. Follows up with ambulatory nurses to ensure correct orders are requested.
* Completes pre-surgical consultations such as history and physical exams (H&P), completing informed consent forms and obtaining patient signatures prior to surgery. Checking orders for accuracy, reviewing lab results and imaging results from patient pre-surgical testing. Reviewing patient chart for allergies, medications, co-morbidities.
* Providing comprehensive patient education, including but not limited to ensuring patient understanding of all scheduled procedures.
* Conducting follow-up communication on pre-op and post-op patients.
* Reviewing pre-op cases for the upcoming week after initial nurse review.
* May be cross-trained to provide back-up coverage in the hospital.
Masters Degree in Physican Assitant Studies Required
To the extent provided by applicable law, no person shall be excluded from participation in, denied the benefits of, or be subject to discrimination under any program or activity sponsored or conducted by The University of Texas System or any of its component institutions, on the basis of race, color, national origin, religion, sex, sexual orientation, age, veteran status, or disability..