Physician Assistant - Orthopedic Trauma 8/31/2016
Santa Fe, NM
JOB DESCRIPTIONAPPLY Description
JOB TITLE: Physician Assistant
REPORTS TO: Clinically: Physician
Administratively: Practice Manager/Administrator or Assigned Supervisor
Provides diagnosis and treatment services for patients at the direction of the supervising Physician and within the scope of practice defined by state law.
Current licensure as a Physician Assistant by the state Board of Medical Examiners; Graduation from an accredited Physician Assistant training program, with a B.S. degree; Certified by an accredited certification agency; Current CPR Certification.
1. Obtains complete medical history and physical data on patients. Reviews patient records.
2. Interprets and integrates data to determine appropriate diagnostic and therapeutic procedures needed.
3. Performs a complete physical exam and records findings. Formulates a working diagnosis.
4. Consults with other patient caregivers to coordinate patient care.
5. Orders appropriate laboratory and diagnostic procedures.
6. Synthesizes data to determine preliminary diagnosis and therapeutic plan utilizing principles of prevention.
7. Administers injections, immunizations and oral medications. Sutures wounds. Prepares written prescription orders for drugs and controlled substances.
8. Interviews and advises patients regarding health and illness prevention. Recommends community resources to meet patient and family needs.
9. Instructs patient and family regarding medications and treatment instructions. Provides patient education.
10. Assists physicians by recording patient progress notes, issues diagnostic orders, and transcribes orders.
11. Triages patient telephone calls and provides consultation.
12. Performs independent evaluations and treatment procedures in emergency situations.
13. Provides monitoring and continuity of care between physician visits.
14. Attends required meetings and participates in committees as requested.
15. Participates in professional development activities and maintains professional affiliations.
16. Follows the CHRISTUS Provider Network guidelines related to the Health Insurance Portability and Accountability Act (HIPAA), designed to prevent or detect unauthorized disclosure of Protected Health Information (PHI).
17. Maintains strict confidentiality.
18. Uses oral and written communication skills to effectively convey ideas in a clear, positive manner that is consistent with the CHRISTUS Mission.
19. Maintains established CHRISTUS Provider Network policies, procedures, objectives, quality assurance, safety, environmental and infection control.
20. Implements job responsibilities in a manner that is consistent with the CHRISTUS Mission and Code of Ethics and supportive of CHRISTUS Provider Network's cultural diversity objectives.
21. Supports and adheres to CPN Service Guarantee.
22. Performs other related work as required.
Working Conditions/Physical Requirements:
Requires full range of body motion including handling and lifting patients, manual and finger dexterity and eye-hand coordination. Requires standing and walking for prolonged periods of time. Occasionally lifts and carries items weighing up to 50 pounds. Requires normal visual acuity and hearing. Requires working under stress in emergency situations or during irregular hours. Frequent exposure to bodily fluids, communicable diseases, toxic substances, ionizing radiation (Training in Physician oversight office), medicinal preparations and other conditions common to a clinic environment.