Physician Assistant or Nurse Practitioner- B medicine position
This job is no longer active.
View similar jobs.
POST DATE 9/13/2016
END DATE 10/19/2016
JOB DESCRIPTIONAPPLY Job Title
Physician Assistant or Nurse Practitioner- B medicine position
Job Location Name
Under the limited direction of the attending physician or designee, obtains and records patient medical history; performs physical examinations; orders, evaluates and monitors medical and laboratory diagnostic tests and treatment plans. Prepares, develops and initiates treatment plan in consultation with attending physician; performs routine invasive procedures; performs diagnostic and therapeutic procedures. Educates and counsels patient and family members on condition, desired results of treatment plans, expectations during illness and recovery, and other related areas. Participates in the management of patient's care, determining need for consultation to ensure the continuity and quality of care.
PRINCIPAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
1. Obtains and records complete medical history of patient.*
2. Performs physical examinations and documents results.*
3. Orders, evaluates and monitors medical and laboratory diagnostic tests and treatment plans including laboratory tests, x-rays, pharmaceuticals, blood products and interdisciplinary consults in collaboration with the attending physician or designee and according to established guidelines.*
4. Prepares, develops and initiates treatment plan in consultation with attending physician. Develops inpatient and outpatient care and writes medication and other orders as prescribed by law.*
5. Performs and obtains consent for routine invasive procedures, including but not limited to, venipuncture, nasogastric intubation, gastric lavage, arterial blood gases, urinary catheter placement.*
6. Performs diagnostic and therapeutic procedures based on education, experience and departmental needs.*
7. Educates and counsels patient and family members on condition, desired results of treatment plans, expectations during illness and recovery and other related areas.*
8. Conducts patient rounds and documents assessment, diagnosis and treatment plan in progress notes.*
9. Responsible for a variety of patient care activities in assigned outpatient clinic (e.g., performs invasive
procedures, provides pre and post operative care).*
10. Prepares discharge summaries, as assigned.*
11. Responds to emergencies and initiates appropriate treatment until relieved of their duties by a physician.*
12. May participate in clinical and experimental research, including statistical analysis of data.*
13. Maintains and enhances expertise through appropriate educational and organizational activities.*
Supports the standards set forth in the DMC's Code of Conduct by creating an atmosphere of commitment to legal and ethical standards, and as directed, implementing external and internal audit recommendations. Monitors activities to ensure compliance with applicable laws, regulations JCAHO requirements, and DMC policies and procedures.
* The essential functions of this job include but are not limited to those marked with an asterisk.
1. Bachelor of Science Degree from an accredited program for Physician Assistants, or the equivalent combination of education and experience, including approximately one year (2000 hours) of clinical internship.
2. Certification from the National Commission of Certification of Physician Assistants, preferred.
3. License as a Physician Assistant by the state of Michigan.
4. Following successful selection/placement into the job, six to twelve months on the job training to perform specialty procedures and responsibilities.
5. Eligible to secure a DEA license upon hire as required by the particular position assignment at the Detroit Medical Center.
6. Eligible for approval of privileges to practice within the Detroit Medical Center as an Allied Health Professional through the Detroit Medical Center Medical Staff Organization.
1. Analytical ability to monitor data, develop treatment plans and prescribe medications. Independent judgment to monitor and respond to changes in patient conditions.
2. Interpersonal skill necessary to effectively communicate with patient, family members, medical staff and nursing personnel.
3. Leadership skills including demonstrated willingness to pursue leadership roles with increasing levels of accountability, comfort with decision-making responsibilities, coaching, teaching and counseling skills,
1. Registered nurse licensure to practice in the state of Michigan.
2. State of Michigan Nurse Specialty Certification as a Nurse Practitioner.
3. Master's degree in nursing from an accredited nurse practitioner training program.
4. Two years clinical experience as a professional nurse.
5. National certification in advanced practice nursing specialty from one of the following certification bodies:
* American Nurses Credentialing Center (ANCC)
* National Certification Board of Pediatric Nurse Practitioners and Nurses (NCBPNPN)
* National Certification Corporation for the Obstetric & Gynecologic & Neonatal Nursing Specialties (NCCOGNS)
* American Academy of Nurse Practitioners (AANP)
* Oncology Nursing Certification Corporation (ONCC)
6. Eligible for approval of privileges to practice within the Detroit Medical Center as an Allied Health Professional through the Detroit Medical Center Medical Staff Organization. Application for Allied Health Professional credentialing must be submitted to the Detroit Medical Center Medical Affairs Office upon hire.
7. Prior to obtaining privileges through the Detroit Medical Center Medical Staff Organization, the nurse practitioner may:
a. See patients under the direct supervision of a nurse practitioner, who has obtained privileges through the Detroit Medical Center Medical Staff Organization, or the attending physician.
b. Prescribe medications and treatments, and order diagnostic tests as a delegated responsibility from the attending physician. The orders will be written as verbal orders and must be co-signed by the supervising nurse practitioner or attending physician within 24 hours.
8. In accordance with State of Michigan administrative rules R338.10403, Only nurses certified in a nursing specialty field may hold themselves out to the public as nurse specialists using the title nurse anesthetist, nurse midwife, or nurse practitioner. Conduct contrary to this rule is deemed a violation of sections 16221(g) of the act. Therefore, prior to obtaining national certification in an advanced practice nursing specialty and State of Michigan Specialty Certification as a Nurse Practitioner, the title nurse practitioner may not be used and newly graduated nurse practitioners will be hired under Graduate Advanced Practice Nurse job description.
At Detroit Medical Center (DMC), we are committed to maintaining an environment of Equal Opportunity and Affirmative Action. If you need a reasonable accommodation to access the information provided on this web site, please contact the DMC facility where the position is available, for further assistance. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, protected veteran status or status as an individual disability.