Planner II 8/19/2016
JOB DESCRIPTIONAPPLY PLANNER II
General Statement of Duties
Performs advanced level of professional work in planning, organizing and performing the activities of the Planning and Economic Development Department.
Distinguishing Features of the Class
An employee in this class performs advanced level planning work for the Town of Selma; and participates in all current and long-range community planning, administration of land development regulations/codes, including but not limited to, zoning, flood plain management, watershed and storm water protection, supervision of Code Enforcement Staff and related activities for the Town. Work requires professional and technical knowledge of the subject matter. The employee is subject to inside and outside environmental conditions. Duties are performed under the administrative direction and supervision of the Planning and Economic Development Director.
Duties and Responsibilities
Essential Duties and Tasks:
* Coordinates technical and community review of public/private development projects.
* Reviews or assists in the evaluation of development proposals and plans for technical compliance with Development Regulations, including, but not limited to zoning, watershed, storm water, floodplain, subdivision, etc.
* Responds to various questions from developers/citizens pertaining to development regulations, and codes in a timely manner.
* Reviews and issues various development permits. .
* Prepares and presents detailed reports on development proposals to government bodies and/or advisory committees/groups.
* Acts as liaison between community groups, government agencies, developers, and elected officials in developing neighborhood plans.
* Supervises Code Enforcement Staff.
* As directed, conducts public meetings; facilitates input; and provides technical guidance.
* Conducts field evaluations and assessments.
* As directed, attends meetings, including night and weekend meetings, and serves as staff to various boards and prepares agenda material and minutes.
* Collects a variety of statistical data and prepares reports and maps on topics such as census information, land use, annual boundary, annexation survey, and tax base data.
* Plans, organizes work, and maintains necessary records and reports.
Additional Job Duties:
* Attends Town Council/advisory board meetings as needed and/or required.
* Develops visual aids for use in presentations to the various governmental and advisory board meetings.
* Performs related work as required.
Recruitment and Selection Guidelines
Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities:
* Considerable knowledge of the principles and practices, laws, and regulations relating to planning and zoning, watershed, storm water, flood plain protection, and historic preservation.
* Considerable knowledge of governmental laws, programs, and services pertinent to the planning and development process and code enforcement.
* Considerable knowledge of principles and practices of research and data collection.
* Considerable knowledge of effective writing techniques.
* Considerable statistical, algebraic, or geometric knowledge and ability to apply such knowledge in practical situations.
* Considerable knowledge of computer hardware and software programs, which include Microsoft Office, Internet applications, and GIS.
* Ability to