Plant Environmental Manager
This job is no longer active.
View similar jobs.
POST DATE 8/24/2016
END DATE 10/20/2016
JOB DESCRIPTIONMORE INFORMATION ABOUT THIS JOB:
The position summary states the general nature and purpose of the job. Overall accountabilities are defined in this section.
This position has ultimate environmental responsibility at the Crete, NE facility. This include compliance with all applicable permits, environmental oversight of on-site construction and continued conformance with ISO 14001 requirements.
Smithfield is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action (EEO/AA) Employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration without regard to race, color, national origin, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, religion, age, status as a protected veteran, status as an individual with disability, or any other protected group status or non-job related characteristic as directed by law.
Responsibilities and tasks are written as follows:
40% Water and Wastewater Treatment
* Environmental Records Management: At the Crete, NE facility we have a Public Drinking Water Permit, NPDES Wastewater Discharge Permit, Synthetic Minor Air Operating Permit, Storm Water BMP, Spill Prevention Control & Countermeasure Plan, and Land Application Program for Wastewater Residuals.
* All of these environmental programs and Environmental Management System have a significant amount of records and reports that must be compiled and maintained.
20% Portable Water Quality
* This position has responsibility for potable water quality at the wells and wastewater quality discharged to the river.
* The potable water is permitted through the Nebraska Health & Human Services Department which in turn has oversight from the United States Environmental Protection Agency.
* Concerning Wastewater: Out facility is an NPDES permitted facility with authority to discharge directly to the stream.
* The treatment plant uses physical, chemical and biological treatments to assure that the effluent water has been adequately treated and meet discharge requirements of State & Federal EPA regulations
* This position holds responsibility for the Environmental Management Systems which ensures that ISO 14001 certification is maintained.
* A sound working knowledge of the certification requirements, lead auditor certification and the ability to lead the EMS team are a necessity.
10% Capital Improvement Projects
* This position is responsible for review of all capital improvement projects on address to ensure that there will not be detrimental environmental impacts.
* Each project is scrutinized to determine if there are potential impacts to either treatment facility, if any or all permits will be affected and if there are any long-term environmental concerns.
10% Communication with Outside Contacts
* An ability to represent Smithfield Farmland in a positive and professional manner.
* Examples of outside contacts that will be worked with include: NDEQ, EPA, Engineers and Contractors.
* The ability to maintain a good working relationship while accomplishing the goals of the company is a must.
To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. The requirements listed below are representative of the knowledge, skill, and/or ability required. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals to perform the essential functions.
* Bachelor s degree from four-year College or university in a science field and at least 5 years related experience.
* Should have at least 3 years supervisory level experience in water and wastewater treatment, preferably in a large industrial facility.
* Previous experience or training with air permit requirements, EPCRA reporting (SARA 312 Tier II, Form R s), land application of wastewater bio solids is required.
* Previous experience with Process Safety Management (PSM) programs would be extremely helpful.
* Requires a working knowledge of Microsoft Word, Excel and the ability to research the Internet.
* Ability to travel 5% to 10% of the time.
* This position supervises the Water Treatment Operators at the Crete plant.
* Carries out supervisory responsibilities in accordance with the organization s policies and applicable laws.
* Responsibilities include interviewing, hiring, and training employees; planning, assigning and directing work; appraising performance; rewarding and disciplining employees addressing complaints and resolving problems.
The physical demands described here are representative of those an employee should possess to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
* Must occasionally lift and/or move up to 50 pounds.
The work environment characteristics described here are representative of those an employee encounters while performing the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
* Occasionally exposed to wet or humid conditions (non-weather); work near moving mechanical parts; fumes or airborne particles; toxic or caustic chemical and extreme heat (non-weather).
* Regularly exposed to outdoor weather conditions.
* Noise level in the work environment is moderate.
SCOPE/IMPACT OF JOB:
Include any information here that helps define the scope and dimension of the responsibilities indicated above. (E.g. Sales dollars responsible for, level of purchasing authority, operating expenses responsible for, number of locations managed number of claims or transactions, etc.)
* Participation in on-site Safety Teams including taking a leadership role in the environmental area and EMS Program, and involvement with the Process Safety Management Program.