Plastic & Reconstructive Surgery Physician Assistant (Per Diem, Days)
This job is no longer active.
View similar jobs.
POST DATE 9/15/2016
END DATE 12/13/2016
Boston Medical Center
JOB DESCRIPTIONJOB OPPORTUNITY
PLASTIC & RECONSTRUCTIVE SURGERY PHYSICIAN ASSISTANT (PER DIEM, DAYS)
JOB ID 1513500 DATE POSTED 02/19/2016 apply now
Boston Medical Center (BMC) is more than a hospital. It s a network of support and care that touches the lives of hundreds of thousands of people in need each year. It is the largest and busiest provider of trauma and emergency services in New England. Emphasizing community-based care, BMC is committed to providing consistently excellent and accessible health services to all and is the largest safety-net hospital in New England. The hospital is also the primary teaching affiliate of the nationally ranked Boston University School of Medicine (BUSM) and a founding partner of Boston HealthNet an integrated health care delivery systems that includes many community health centers. BMC provides a full range of pediatric and adult care services, from primary to family medicine to advanced specialty care.
BMC is also committed to our employees, who are a very important piece to who we are. We pride ourselves in providing equal employment opportunity and non-discrimination for all employees and qualified applicants without regard to a person's race, color, gender, age, religion, national origin, ancestry, disability, veteran status, genetic information, sexual orientation or any characteristic protected under applicable law. BMC will make reasonable accommodations for qualified individuals with known disabilities, in accordance with applicable law.
Seeking an experienced physician assistant in a surgical or plastic surgery setting for a very busy reconstructive and cosmetic surgical practice.
Under the general supervision of a physician, the Physician Assistant is responsible for providing varied medical services, including: obtaining complete medical history and performing a physical examination; ordering and interpreting laboratory tests and imaging studies; formulating a diagnosis and treatment plan; prescribing and/or dispensing medication; assisting in surgery or other invasive procedures; counseling patients and families, and other patient care duties. May be involved with a patient s medical care in any role which the attending physician deems proper and consistent with applicable law, hospital regulations, delineation of privileges, and the Physician Assistant s training, knowledge, skill, and experience.
* In collaboration with attending physicians, admits, evaluates, treats, and discharges patients admitted by the Department of Plastic Surgery.
* Performs and/or interprets routine diagnostic studies, including routine laboratory procedures, common radiological studies, and electrocardiograph tracings.
* Makes rounds to evaluate patients and writes progress reports.
* Performs therapeutic procedures, including injections, immunizations, wound care, suturing, incision and drainage of superficial infections, and wound debridement.
* Assists in the delivery of services to patients requiring continuing care by acting as liaison with patient s primary care, attending or referring physician.
* Facilitates communication with other departments to ensure the delivery of excellent cost effective and efficient patient care.
* Educates patients and/or families about preventive care, medical issues, and use of prescribed medical treatments and/or medications.
* Records and maintains legible, accurate and confidential patient medical records including initial evaluation, subsequent follow-up, unusual incidents or problems, and patient progress to provide complete and up-to-date information for ongoing reference and evaluation.
* Under the countersignature of the attending physician, is responsible for transcribing preoperative and postoperative orders including prescription medication, fluid orders, diets, activity levels and other procedures, as authorized applicable law and department protocol.
* May be authorized to write appropriate prescription orders, including those for narcotics, stimulants, and depressant drugs, and pre and postoperative orders as necessary.
* Ensures treatment and consultations consistent with NCQA (National Committee for Quality Assurance), TJC (The Joint Commission on Accreditation of Healthcare Organizations), and federal and state regulatory standards.
* Attends weekly staff meetings.
* Ensures professional growth and development through participation in educational programs and workshops and maintaining knowledge of industry standards and practices.
* Maintains patients confidentiality.
* Conforms to hospital standards of performance and conduct, including those pertaining to patient rights, so that the best possible customer service and patient care may be provided.
* Utilizes hospital s cultural beliefs as the basis for decision making and to support the hospital s mission and goals.
* Follows established hospital infection control and safety procedures.
* Performs other duties as required.
* Must hold a Bachelor degree in any field (scientific field preferred) and be a graduate of an American Medical Association (AMA) approved Physician Assistant Program.
CERTIFICATES, LICENSES, REGISTRATIONS REQUIRED:
* Must be nationally Board Certified by the National Commission on Certification of Physician Assistants and duly licensed as a Physician Assistant in Massachusetts.
* If prescribing medications is included in clinical duties and privileges, Massachusetts Controlled Substances Registration and federal DEA Controlled Substance Registration are required.
* Prior experience in a surgical or plastic surgery setting is preferred.
KNOWLEDGE AND SKILLS:
* Expert clinical judgment to function in an independent role.
* Excellent interpersonal and communication skills in order to collaborate with patients, families, physicians, staff, and community health workers.
* Ability to be self-directive and demonstrate initiative in addressing responsibilities of the position.
* Ability to comprehend and communicate complex verbal and written information in English to medical center staff, patients, families and external customers.
* Ability to utilize appropriate problem solving and conflict resolution skills.
* Must be able to maintain strict protocols of all confidential or sensitive information.