Plastics Consumables Development Mechanical Engineer 8/27/2016
San Diego, CA
JOB DESCRIPTIONAPPLY SUMMARY
The Plastics Consumables Development Mechanical Engineer applies technical expertise to the design and development of new medical device disposables for high volume manufacture. The position will require the application of skills such as solid modeling, machining, molding, joinery techniques such as laser welding, and dispensing technologies. The output from the engineers design work will be new methodologies, new materials, machines, processes, or products. The engineer will setup and test equipment, develop processes and train operators. The engineer will conduct feasibility studies of the design to determine ability to function as intended, as well as maintain detailed documentation throughout all phases of research and development. Coordinates activities with outside suppliers and consultants to ensure the delivery of supplies or services needed to meet scheduled timelines.
TASKS AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
* Investigates and evaluates existing technology.
* Designs and implements new methodologies, materials, machines, processes or products.
* Modify and test equipment, develop processes, troubleshoot process issues.
* Conducts feasibility studies of the design to determine ability to function as intended.
* Maintains detailed documentation throughout all phases of research and development and assist in transfer to manufacturing.
* Coordinates activities with outside suppliers and consultants to ensure the delivery of supplies or services needed to meet scheduled timelines.
* Design experiments and analyze data.
* Detailed understanding of device components or processes and overall usage intent. Optimizes design and/or processes to improve function.
* Works on problems of moderate scope where analysis of situations or data requires a review of a variety of factors. Exercises judgment w/in defined procedures and practices to determine appropriate action. Builds productive internal/external working relationships.
* Nature of work requires increasing independence, receives guidance only on unusual complex problems or issues
* Work review typically involves periodic review of output by supervisor and/or direct customers of the process
PREFERRED EDUCATIONAL BACKGROUND:
Bachelors degree in mechanical engineering (or similar field) OR technical training plus additional hands-on experience
PREFERRED EXPERIENTIAL BACKGROUND:
* 2-5 years of relevant experience
Experience designing processes and customizing equipment
Experience in development of low cost, high volume disposables.
Experience with manufacturing techniques and equipment for consumables assembly
* Proficient in Solidworks
Experience working in a cleanroom and/or working with hazardous materials
* Demonstrated problem-solving and troubleshooting skills
* Strong verbal and written communication skills
* Organized and detail oriented
Ability to work in a team environment