Poison Information Specialist-Poison Center 8/24/2016
Maine Medical Center
JOB DESCRIPTIONAPPLY Job Details:
Summary of Position Description
This is a 40 hour, rotating 12 hour shift. Day, evening, night weekends and holidays. This position requires problem-solving, sitting and typing for many hours. On-the-job training and national exam required (1-3 years after hire).
Manages poison exposures and answers poison and drug information questions through the Poison Center hotline. Assists with poison-related education of health care professional, the lay public and Poison Information Providers (PIP). Contributes to assigned projects, which may include grants, contracts, outreach, data organizing and reporting, quality assurance and research. Prepares for and passes American Association Poison Control Centers (AAPCC) Certification Exam within two testing periods.
Minimum Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities Required
* Ability to use Microsoft Word.
* Previous experience with or ability to learn to use the Micromedex, and the Toxicall, Databases.
* Ability to formulate patient management plans for poisoned patients utilizing computer and text resources, and to interpret locate and interpret primary medical literature.
* Degree in Nursing, Pharmacy, or Medicine, or a nationally certified Physician Assistant.
* Currently licensed in the State of Maine.
* Interpersonal skills necessary to successfully communicate with individuals of multiple cultural and educational backgrounds.
Poison Information Specialist-Poison Center