This job is no longer active.
View similar jobs.
POST DATE 9/2/2016
END DATE 10/18/2016
Port of Houston Authority
JOB DESCRIPTIONAPPLY Are you READY? We are.
Why settle for ordinary when you can be part of something extraordinary? At Port of Houston Authority, we make sure our people have the best advantages in the business and that includes making sure they are READY to work for a world class port and facility. And by READY, we mean: Respect, Excellence, Accountable, Diligence, and 'You'.
Get in on the action at Port of Houston Authority where You can be part of a great team; where You can help create an environment of excellence; where You can be part of a tradition, over 100 years in the making.
Missing out on this could mean missing the chance at an extraordinary career. Are you READY?
We are looking for Police Officers to protect Port of Houston Authority property, facilities and interests as well as the property, cargo and facilities of users and tenants.
Mission: 'To Protect and Secure People and Commerce.'
Essential Job Functions:
- Patrol Port Authority properties using a Port of Houston Authority Police Unit to maintain traffic control, visually and physically inspect perimeter fencing and unmanned gates for signs of tampering, damage and/or unauthorized entry attempts.
- Physically check buildings and facilities for occupancy and insure they are locked and secured when empty.
- Make frequent inspections of all offices, security cages, warehouses (to include waterfront and Railside area). Check for fire, pilferage, vandalism, damage, etc.
- Closely monitor and operate radio communications and telephone equipment with professionalism.
- Escort visitors, oversize vehicles and equipment from gates to destination on property as necessary. Transport individuals to work area as directed (when there is not a bus driver on duty).
- Investigate incidents/accidents and prepare reports in a timely manner.
- Assist shift supervisor, other police officers and security officers at the gates as required in relaying instructions, assisting in berthing of vessels, etc.
- Control vehicular traffic as needed to avoid and/or clear congestion. Issue traffic tickets for moving or parking violations.
- Monitor traffic and manage empty yard queues to prevent traffic obstructions.
- Monitor, note, report and investigate suspicious persons and situations, safety hazards and unusual or illegal activity in patrol area.
- Comply with all provisions of the Port Of Houston Police Manual and Port employee Handbook.
- Enforce applicable State Law to include making arrests, if necessary.
- Mandatory overtime is required as needed (mandatory overtime constitutes 4 hours added to an 8 hour day).
- Must participate in overtime as needed to maintain effective and efficient patrol and dispatch operations.
- Required to perform shift work which may include days, evenings and nights including weekends and holidays.
- All other tasks as assigned.
The ideal candidate must possess a High School Diploma/GED equivalent, as well as have a minimum of two (2+) year minimum in a similar law enforcement experience with a valid TCLEOSE Peace Office License. Military experience preferred. Other requirements include:
- Must have a valid Texas Driver License with good driving record.
- Must be 21 years of age.
- Subject to background investigation to include being fingerprinted and search of local, state, and national records and fingerprint files to disclose any criminal record.
- No felony convictions.
- Not currently under indictment for any criminal offense.
- Have never have been on court-ordered community supervision or probation for any criminal offense above the grade of Class B misdemeanor or a Class B misdemeanor within the last ten years from the date of the court order.
- Have not ever been convicted of an offense above the grade of a Class B misdemeanor or a Class B misdemeanor within the last ten years.
- Have not ever been convicted of any family violence offense.
- Not prohibited by sta