Postdoctoral Fellow Plasma Physics / Electric Propulsion
This job is no longer active.
View similar jobs.
POST DATE 9/10/2016
END DATE 1/6/2017
Santa Clara, CA
Agilent inspires and supports discoveries that advance the quality of life. We provide life science, diagnostic and applied market laboratories worldwide with instruments, services, consumables, applications and expertise. Agilent enables customers to gain the answers and insights they seek so they can do what they do best: improve the world around us. Information about Agilent is available at www.agilent.com.
Join us at the California Research Center, part of Agilent's Spectroscopy and Vacuum Solutions Division, where we push the state-of-the art in vacuum and spectroscopy science and instrumentation.
We need your passion and talent in plasma physics/electric propulsion in order to develop cutting edge technology for next generation ion pumps. If awarded this fellowship, you would be responsible for:
- Creating and analyzing novel ion pump constructs and identifying opportunities to apply contemporary design concepts and methodologies
- Designing, developing, and debugging ion pump systems that drive a step change improvement in performance or cost.
- Presenting your results to our international partners and to the broader technical staff
- Ph.D. in plasma physics, applied physics, or related field received within the last two years
- Design and operation of low-pressure plasma sources, especially electric propulsion systems such as Hall-effect thrusters
- Plasma diagnostics such as probes (such as Langmuir probes, retarding-potential analyzers) and laser diagnostics (such as laser-induced fluorescence)
- Design and operation of vacuum systems
- Generation of magnetic fields via electromagnets and permanent magnets
- Track record of novel research via publications, patents, etc.
- Superb analytical skills and decision-making ability
- Excellent communication skills and capacity to excel in a multidisciplinary, international team
- Computational simulation of low-pressure plasmas and/or vacuum electronic devices
- Knowledge of plasma chemistry
- Design and operation of electron sources (such as thermionic or field emission devices)
Agilent Technologies, Inc. is an Equal Employment Opportunity and Affirmative Action employer. We value diversity at all levels. All individuals, regardless of personal characteristics, are encouraged to apply. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to sex, pregnancy, race, religion or religious creed, color, gender, gender identity, gender expression, national origin, ancestry, physical or mental disability, medical condition, genetic information, marital status, registered domestic partner status, age, sexual orientation, military or veteran status, protected veteran status, or any other basis protected by federal, state, local law, ordinance, or regulation and will not be discriminated against on these bases.
For more information about equal employment opportunity protections, please view the EEO is the Law poster available here https://www.dol.gov/ofccp/regs/compliance/posters/pdf/eeopost.pdf
Agilent Technologies, Inc., is committed to diversity in the workplace and strives to support candidates with disabilities. If you have a disability and need assistance with any part of the application or interview process or have questions about workplace accessibility, please contact +1-262-754-5030 (US and Canada only) or email email@example.com. EOE AA M/F/Vet/Disability.