Postdoctoral Research Associate - Neutrino Scintillator Detector Development 9/9/2016
Brookhaven National Laboratory
JOB DESCRIPTIONAPPLY Position Description
The successful candidate is expected to work on development and application of water-based or metal-doped liquid scintillators. Particular emphasis will be on detector development for the SNO+ and PROSPECT projects; and the production of metal-doped liquid scintillator deployed in a veto system for the LZ experiment.
The primary research responsibilities will include: (1) design and formulate metal-doped liquid scintillators and demonstrate feasibility for the SNO+ and PROSPECT experiments; (2) coordinate the production of proven metal-doped liquid scintillator for the LZ experiment; and (3) develop and advance applications of novel water-based liquid scintillators.
Required Knowledge Skills and Abilities:
* Ph.D. degree inNuclear Chemistry, Physical Chemistry, Analytical Chemistry or a related field of chemistry, or Nuclear or High Energy Physics
* Knowledge in neutrino detection and radiation detection
* Ability to design large-scale (ton-scale) Cherenkov and scintillator detectors
* Hands-on experience working at underground laboratory is preferred
* Ability to travel for detector installation and operation.
BNL policy requires that research associate positions be made to individuals who have received their doctorate within the past five years.
At Brookhaven National Laboratory we believe that a comprehensive employee benefits program is an important and meaningful part of the compensation employees receives. Our benefits program includes but is not limited to:
* Medical Plans
* Dental Plans
* Life Insurance
* 401k Plan
* On-site Child Development Center, Swimming Pool, Weight room, Tennis courts, and many other employee perks and benefits.
We invite you to consider Brookhaven National Laboratory for employment. To be considered for this position, please apply online at BNL Careers and enter the job title into the Keyword Search.
Brookhaven National Laboratory (BNL) is an equal opportunity employer committed to ensuring that all qualified applicants receive consideration for employment and will not be discriminated against on the basis of race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, age, status as a veteran, disability or any other federal, state or local protected class.
BNL takes affirmative action in support of its policy and to advance in employment individuals who are minorities, women, protected veterans, and individuals with disabilities.
*VEVRAA Federal Contractor