This job is no longer active.
View similar jobs.
POST DATE 9/1/2016
END DATE 10/19/2016
Beth Israel Deaconess Medical Center
JOB DESCRIPTIONJOB SUMMARY: Provides patient services including greeting, check-in, scheduling and medical assisting while delivering excellent service and contributing to the smooth flow of practice operations. At BIDMC, a Practice Assistant in a hospital-based practice is not authorized to perform duties that can be performed only by licensed personnel, which includes, but is not limited to, drawing up medication and/or medication administration or flushing an IV. Practice Assistants may retrieve medications (scheduled VI and over the counter only) under the supervision of a licensed provider. Reports to the manager with input from assigned physicians, nurses or other health care providers.
* Communicates with and assists patients, other employees and the general public in a courteous, helpful manner by phone and in person. Provides accurate information, directions and/or guidance and follows up promptly to ensure that needs have been met.
* Takes complete and accurate information from patients/callers, prioritizes information and facilitates communication of information to providers. Prepares schedules, patient charts and other documents as needed in accordance with quality standards. Maintains patient confidentiality at all times, whether by phone, discussion with providers or distribution of patient information by e-mail, fax, etc.
* Performs check-in, registration, and verification of demographic and fiscal information utilizing a computer system.
Enters data from visit tickets and ensures that information is complete, accurate and timely to facilitate the billing process. * Collects copayments following standards for managing copayment processes. Directs patients at time of check in.
* Schedules related diagnostic and lab tests making every reasonable effort to accommodate patient and provider needs. Inputs patient insurance and managed care plans, including prior authorizations, referrals, and pre-certifications. Explains processes as needed to help patients meet their needs and insurance requirements.
* High School diploma or GED required. Associate's degree preferred.
* Certificate 1 Medical Assistant Certificate preferred., and Certificate 2 Phlebotomy Certificate preferred.
* 1-3 years related work experience required.
* Basic familiarity with computers. Ability to navigate at a basic level within web-based applications.
* Decision Making: Ability to make decisions that are based on specific instructions, standard practices and established procedures which generally require little or no supervision.
* Problem Solving: Ability to address problems that are routine, somewhat repetitive and generally solved by following clear directions and procedures and by identifying opportunities for process improvements.
* Independence of Action: Ability to follow general instructions and procedures as provided. Work is monitored by supervisor/manager.
* WRITTEN COMMUNICATIONS: Ability to communicate clearly and effectively in written English with internal and external customers.
* ORAL COMMUNICATIONS: Ability to comprehend and converse in English to communicate effectively with medical center staff, patients, families and external customers.
* KNOWLEDGE: Ability to demonstrate full working knowledge of standard concepts, practices, procedures and policies with the ability to use them in varied situations.
* TEAM WORK: Ability to work collaboratively in small teams to improve the operations of immediate work group by offering ideas, identifying issues, and respecting team members.
* CUSTOMER SERVICE: Ability to provide a high level of customer service to patients, visitors, staff and external customers in a professional, service-oriented, respectful manner using skills in active listening and problem solving. Ability to remain calm in stressful situations.
AGE BASED COMPETENCIES:
Employees in this job must be competent to provide patient care to the following age groups: Young adult: 16-30 years, Middle Age: 30 - 60 years, Elderly: 60 -.
PHYSICAL NATURE OF THE JOB:
Medium work: Exerting up to 50 pounds of force occasionally and or up to 20 pounds of force frequently. Job is physical in nature and employee needs to stand and/or move around through the majority of their shift.
At the Digestive Disease Center at Beth Israel Deaconess Medical Center, we focus on patient care first. Our specialists provide you with comprehensive and innovative medical, endoscopic and surgical treatment for all types of digestive disorders. We are also leaders in groundbreaking research and medical education -programs that are transforming the future of gastroenterology. Patients benefit from unique collaboration among renowned gastroenterologists, surgeons, radiologists, oncologists, pathologists, nurses and other GI specialists.
* BIDMC gastroenterologists perform more than 25,000 GI procedures annually, placing the DDC program among the top five in the nation.
* Tertiary specialists treat complicated conditions of the gastrointestinal tract with biological therapies and other medical breakthroughs.
* Surgeons offer world-class expertise in rectal-sparing surgery, pouch operations, complex operations for Crohn's fistulas, stricturoplasties, laparoscopic colectomies and bowel resections.
BIDMC is EOE M/F/VET/DISABILITY/GENDER IDENTITY/SEXUAL ORIENTATION
Beth Israel Deaconess Medical Center is an Equal Opportunity Employer. We comply with the laws and regulations set forth in the linked poster:http://www.dol.gov/ofccp/regs/compliance/posters/pdf/eeopost.pdf