Practice Assistant (Multi-Specialty, 40 Hours, FT)
PRACTICE ASSISTANT (MULTI-SPECIALTY, 40 HOURS, FT)
JOB ID 1023781 DATE POSTED 11/06/2015 apply now
Boston Medical Center (BMC) is more than a hospital. It s a network of support and care that touches the lives of hundreds of thousands of people in need each year. It is the largest and busiest provider of trauma and emergency services in New England. Emphasizing community-based care, BMC is committed to providing consistently excellent and accessible health services to all and is the largest safety-net hospital in New England. The hospital is also the primary teaching affiliate of the nationally ranked Boston University School of Medicine (BUSM) and a founding partner of Boston HealthNet an integrated health care delivery systems that includes many community health centers. BMC provides a full range of pediatric and adult care services, from primary to family medicine to advanced specialty care.
BMC is also committed to our employees, who are a very important piece to who we are. We pride ourselves in providing equal employment opportunity and non-discrimination for all employees and qualified applicants without regard to a person's race, color, gender, age, religion, national origin, ancestry, disability, veteran status, genetic information, sexual orientation or any characteristic protected under applicable law. BMC will make reasonable accommodations for qualified individuals with known disabilities, in accordance with applicable law.
Performs Medical Office support in both the administrative and clinical areas.
In the clinical area of Hematology and Oncology the practice assistant, under the direction and supervision of a Registered Nurse, and in accordance with hospital policies, procedures, protocols, and standards of practice participates in the delivery of patient care.
In the administrative area the practice assistant gathers patient information for registration, schedules appointments, verifies demographic and financial information and assists in the facilitation of patient flow throughout the ambulatory setting.
* Work requires successful completion of medical assistant program, successful completion of the first medical-surgical clinical rotation, or equivalent combination of education and work experience.
* Requires at least two years of previous work experience. Experience in hospital, medical office, managed care or health insurance is a plus.
* Must pass clinical competency testing.
* Ability to effectively speak, read, and write English.
* Ability to perform basic math and quantitative measurements, e.g. obtains height and weight, measures urine output, etc.
* Excellent customer service skills and ability to communicate in a courteous, pleasant and professional manner with patients, general public, staff members, outside agencies, and all other internal and external contacts.
* Organizational skills to set priorities and efficiently complete assigned work.
* Ability to accurately interpret and utilize basic medical terminology and abbreviations.
* Ability to work independently and to make decisions based on department polices and established procedures..
* Basic computer proficiency inclusive of ability to access, enter, and interpret computerized data/information.
* Must be able to maintain strict protocols of all confidential or sensitive information.