Practice Assistant (Podiatry, FT, Days)(SEIU)
This job is no longer active.
View similar jobs.
POST DATE 8/24/2016
END DATE 10/19/2016
Boston Medical Center
JOB DESCRIPTIONAPPLY JOB OPPORTUNITY
PRACTICE ASSISTANT (PODIATRY, FT, DAYS)(SEIU)
JOB ID 2856208 DATE POSTED 08/20/2016 apply now
Boston Medical Center (BMC) is more than a hospital. It s a network of support and care that touches the lives of hundreds of thousands of people in need each year. It is the largest and busiest provider of trauma and emergency services in New England. Emphasizing community-based care, BMC is committed to providing consistently excellent and accessible health services to all and is the largest safety-net hospital in New England. The hospital is also the primary teaching affiliate of the nationally ranked Boston University School of Medicine (BUSM) and a founding partner of Boston HealthNet an integrated health care delivery systems that includes many community health centers. BMC provides a full range of pediatric and adult care services, from primary to family medicine to advanced specialty care.
BMC is also committed to our employees, who are a very important piece to who we are. We pride ourselves in providing equal employment opportunity and non-discrimination for all employees and qualified applicants without regard to a person's race, color, gender, age, religion, national origin, ancestry, disability, veteran status, genetic information, sexual orientation or any characteristic protected under applicable law. BMC will make reasonable accommodations for qualified individuals with known disabilities, in accordance with applicable law.
Performs Medical Office support in both the administrative and clinical areas:
In the clinical area the practice assistant, under the direction and supervision of a Registered Nurse, and in accordance with hospital policies, procedures, protocols, and standards of practice participates in the delivery of patient care.
In the administrative area the practice assistant gathers patient information for registration, schedules appointments, verifies demographic and financial information and assists in the facilitation of patient flow throughout the ambulatory setting.
Delivers care in a non-judgmental, non-discriminatory manner that is sensitive to and demonstrates respect for patients. Duties include:
CLINICAL SUPPORT:Under the direction of the Registered Nurse, performs a variety of appropriately delegated patient care interventions for patients and their families.
1. Collaborates with the Registered Nurse throughout the shift to determine appropriate work assignment and priorities, as well as communicates status of delegated task completion and outcome of patient data findings. Maintains timely ongoing verbal communication.
2. Accurately collects requested patient data (e.g. vital signs and reason for visit) and complies with department documentation standards to ensure a complete and accurate patient record.
3. Performs patient testing, including but not limited to: tests for guaiac, sugar and acetone, urine pH, glucose finger stick, O2 saturation, leg/girth measurements, visual acuity tests, peak flow, EKG, phlebotomy, blood cultures etc.
4. Collects, labels, and sends/transports specimens with appropriate laboratory slips and or requisitions.
5. Identifies emergency/crisis situations and initiates appropriate response actions within the scope of his/her role, including immediate communication of such events to the Registered Nurse/Physician.
6. Provides basic skin care, including but not limited to: application of heat and cold, diabetic foot care, application of elastic stockings, and ace wraps.
7. Uses Standard precautions, performs wound care inclusive of simple dressing changes and saline/ betadine irrigations. Must arrange for Registered Nurse to be present for wound assessment with each dressing change.
8. Assists nurse/health team members various procedures, including but not limited to, positioning and set up of draping, prepping and assisting during procedures.
9. Maintains competence in relation to a variety of other technical skills which may include, but are not limited to:
Application of external monitors
GU irrigation setup
Routine EKG s
Assisting with procedures
10. Provides basic patient equipment care including but not limited to: changing hearing aid batteries, applying splints/prostheses, cleaning/preparing breast pumps, etc.
11. Strictly adheres to isolation procedures as initiated by licensed personnel.
12. Secures patients personal property and belongings according to procedures, including labeling of equipment and supplies, and completion of clothing lists.
13. Performs initialcleaning/decontaminationof equipment/materials, e.g., removing reusable equipment from isolation rooms, and arranges for postmortem cleaning as appropriate.
14. Checks inventories, and restocks, replaces, assembles patient equipment and supplies.
15. Monitors patient flow. Informs nursing staff, technical staff and/or supervisor of arrival of patients and communicates wait time to patients.
16. Performs other duties as needed.
CLERICAL SUPPORT: Performs all duties associated with a Patient Access Rep, including but not limited to registration, scheduling , admitting and collecting co-payments.
1. Gathers and/or assist patients with registration information at every visit. Insure accurate data entry and updates data into the computer system. Data includes demographic, billing data and patient payment information.
2. Verifies third-party insurance coverage for patients, including day of service and whether prior approval for service is necessary for proper reimbursement of services rendered. Obtains this approval whenever it is necessary, and enters into the hospital billing system appropriately.
3. Follow internal collection and cash control policies by informing patients of their financial obligations, collecting payment (deposits, co-payments) at time of service and controlling cash.
4. Directs patients with financial concerns to staff who can assist them in the completion of applications forms.
5. Creates and/or obtains medical records for patients and distributes copy to the appropriate person.
6. Assigns medical record numbers to new patients in order to ensure current information on the patient record system. Collaborates with Medical Records department for suspected duplicate records.
7. Maintains clinic files and patient records; screen patient s chart prior to appointment, checks for lab work, x-ray, and other pertinent results, and verifies information as required.
8. Uses computer terminal for access/input of patient information, lab results, x-ray and other automated requests and communicates findings to appropriate healthcare team members.
9. Stamps and dates charts as required; prepare files and other clinic specific forms.
10. Uses computer or paper system to schedule patient appointments, run clinical reports, arrive, no-show, cancel, and reschedule patients on a daily basis.
11. Mails out clinic specific notices and letters as required.
12. Handles clinic mail and delivers to the appropriate person.
13. Creates cross-booking activities for both linked appointments (social services, nutrition, interpreters, etc.)
14. Reschedules patients from canceled or bumped clinic sessions.
15. Enters charge code and updates diagnosis codes into the patient account system, as directed and as appropriate.